Turn on thread page Beta

Why Is It So Hard To Get DLA? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not claiming for a squint. I have Congenital Nystagmus (which I'm claiming for), but I do also have a squint.

ReputationRep:
    My DLA when I turned 18 dropped from middle band to bottom band.

My mum and dad reacon reacon I should be in the middle band, so we've got to appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the appeal.

Because of so many changes since October (when I applied) I've now got to either phone them up and go through everything I wrote on the form and tell them it's all changed, either that or write a letter telling them that.

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to help my brother get DLA. Who should he go to for help filling out the claim form? The only people I can think of is job centre plus, or is there somewhere else he could go to?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    No way kjobcentreplus, like ... the worst place in all the world.

Do you have a local disabled people led organisation, like a CIL (Centre for Independant Living)? Alternatively a voluntary sector organisation like the Citizens Advice Bureau, or another welfare rights organisation is your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_Gems)
    I've been trying to help my brother get DLA. Who should he go to for help filling out the claim form? The only people I can think of is job centre plus, or is there somewhere else he could go to?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
    CAB. Job Centre don't help with stuff like that. Connexions may help, but I'm not sure.

you must have something else as well as congenital nystagmus.
    Do you even know the meaning of congenital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Connexions may help, but I'm not sure.
    Connexions would refer to CAB.

ReputationRep:
    I have a condition which means that I struggle to do basic every day things such as cook, read and go out safely. (as in, go out without almost being run over or wandering off) According to the DWP, there's sod all wrong with me and are basically telling me to get on with my life.

Is there any reason why it's so hard to get?
    I had a mate at CAB and he filled my form on my behalf, my money doubled. You have to know what to write (not saying lie) but they are lookign for certain things, that frankly I do not know. He said to me you have to imagine youre absoulute worst day possible with youre conditiono, and basiclly explain it.

Go see citizens advice or something similar.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markgg)
    I had a mate at CAB and he filled my form on my behalf, my money doubled. You have to know what to write (not saying lie) but they are lookign for certain things, that frankly I do not know. He said to me you have to imagine youre absoulute worst day possible with youre conditiono, and basiclly explain it.

Go see citizens advice or something similar.....
    My Rent's made my condition sound worse then it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahhhD)
    My Rent's made my condition sound worse then it is.
    The CAB did this for me as well.

ReputationRep:
    The CAB did this for me as well.
    its the only way you can get DA, its Rediculas.

ReputationRep:
    Crazy world, but it is simply about what u send to them - its impossible for the DWP to individually assess people, so you need to ensure youre form is absolutely spot on, I cannot emphasive this more......

I know people that get the same money as me. and theres nothing wrong with them, they all got freedom passes taxi cards etc... and simply should not have them - thys knew how to write a good DLA form really.... And dont be ashamed of youre disability, you have to drop youre pride with dealing with the DWP and tell em hhow ****ty your elife is (not that it is) or you wont get anything of em,,, they are very tight!

You only have one shot, and it can mean a massive difference in youre income if you get it wrong (cost me aroun 5000 a year for 2 years just cause I filled form wrong)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markgg)
    I know people that get the same money as me. and theres nothing wrong with them, they all got freedom passes taxi cards etc...
    I posted the same question on aother forum I post on. Someone said there's a lot of favouritism about who they do adn don't give DLA to. It seems that if someone has a mental illness, they're more likely to get it than someone with a physical illness. I'm not belittling anyone with a mental illness or anything, but that's just wrong. Being registered as disabled and never been allowed to drive appears to make sod all difference either.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Mental illness is incredibly hard to get it for. I really don't believe the process is any better for anyone - people with the most obvious of impairments (e.g. paralysis) get refused and other people get it easily ... very odd.

ReputationRep:

Do you even know the meaning of congenital?
    no, sorry, i've just got it too

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had to go to appeal? I've got mine in January.

My case was referred to medical services - they a) don't understand that Nystagmus isn't just "I have rubbish vision" (it's the reason why I can't walk down stairs) & b) that having IBS as well is different to just having IBS or Nystagmus.

And to top it all off, I now have gluacoma testing at some point. Could do without all of this.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, sorry. I got my DLA first try (middle care, lower mobility)
    however, mine is currently under reveiw :/ I may be being changed to higher care... yay... as if I didn't feel useless and burdeny enough already

good luck with the appeal

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the review.

ReputationRep:
    DLA forms are evil. but appeal against it and i hope you get it

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, go with Citizen Advice, they are experts on how to deal with forms. I went there when they'd cut my DLA off and this woman just looked up this random law case that she found in her massive textbook and made a reference to it. And when filling out the form with her; imagine your worst worst worst day ever.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.