How does shakespeare present lady macbeth in the lay as a whole
ryukk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Abi123404)
She's very serious about her husband getting power. She does anything to get power- even kill.

Shakespeare presents her as "crazy" with the blood on her hands. After she kills Duncan, she hallucinates.Lady Macbeth makes fun of Macbeth for not having the courage to kill Duncan – but when it comes to it, she can't kill him herself, and Macbeth has to do it. ... She starts sleep-walking and talking about Duncan's murder in her sleep. In the end, she kills herself.

Shakespeare definitely doesn't preset her as the "ideal" woman. We can see Macbeth listens to LMB even though it should be the other way. She is more cunning than Macbeth
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Abi123404)
Think about the kind of things she does, e.g. persuading Macbeth to kill Duncan. What does that tell you about her? She's manipulative and persuasive. She selects the correct verbal tools that she knows will further push Macbeth to do what she feels needs to be done. She tries to undermine and question Macbeth's masculinity; she knows that by doing this, he'll want to prove himself, that he's strong, and capable of overcoming any fears to express his masculinity.

So it's clear that she's controlling, manipulative, and with that comes ambition. She has high hopes for their future, and she's willing to do whatever it takes to get there. She exhibits many masculine features herself, and in some ways, she wants the spirits to "unsex' her, so perhaps she feels her being a woman holds her back, hence she attempts to persuade Macbeth to complete the murder. She's the brains, the cunning mind behind it, he's just the weapon.

She's cruel, powerful, and conniving. Have a Google and you'll come across a lot of resources and quotes that back up these points. This is just a very brief overview and summary of her, more detail is needed of course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (92)
64.79%
I don't have everything I need (50)
35.21%

Watched Threads