Super Stressed out and having panic attacks over university exams in January

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
At A-Level I did Maths,Economics and Accounting.

I revised by learning various quantitative techniques and a couple of definitions, definitions I sort of knew anyway from general knowledge .

Economics was basically multiple choice and section B was predict the result on x if y happened and think of 2 policies that could help with x. As long I understood a few economic principles, I could confidently answer all the exam questions.

Im currently study business management have 6 modules in January.

Each module has like 15 chapters, each chapter is 10 pages, Ive tried to summarise as much as I can but can only get it down to 5 pages on average( granted the textbook uses full paragraphs whilst my revision notes use bulletpoints leaving plenty of white space)

I have never had to memorise so much information and im finding it near impossible. Whilst 4 of my modules are quite mathsy.

2 of them require memorisation of over 75 pages each, is that even humanly possible between now and January the 7th ?

My lecturers have advised us against question spotting, so literally anything from the 15 chapters could come up. I dont know what to do. When Im making notes I get scared to leave words or paragraphs out from the textbook, it case they come up in the exam.

I feel like im just not suited for university, if I can even cope with the first year of it ?
Anonymous #1
Just to add, I dont find the course hard and I understand everything. Been doing well in weekly quizzes

I just am struggling to prepare for the exam with out access to all my notes.
22sgw
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
You are over thinking it! Massively! You do not need to learn pages and pages from a text book in 1st year. What you need to do is chill out (hard I know), and condense your notes even further into managable bite size chunks. You need to identify important rubrics, points, and definitions learn those, and to cut out the text book waffle. If you've already done that, find a way for yourself to memorise them. My personal favourite is using flash cards that i create myself and using the "look, cover, repeat" technique.

Yes it is possible to memorise the content by January the 7th, otherwise the university wouldn't set the test with that much content.

Go to your academic advisor and explain the situation they may have some helpful suggestions.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 22sgw)
You are over thinking it! Massively! You do not need to learn pages and pages from a text book in 1st year. What you need to do is chill out (hard I know), and condense your notes even further into managable bite size chunks. You need to identify important rubrics, points, and definitions learn those, and to cut out the text book waffle. If you've already done that, find a way for yourself to memorise them. My personal favourite is using flash cards that i create myself and using the "look, cover, repeat" technique.

Yes it is possible to memorise the content by January the 7th, otherwise the university wouldn't set the test with that much content.

Go to your academic advisor and explain the situation they may have some helpful suggestions.
Thank you for your reply

I realise first year doesnt count but if I cant cope with this year then doesnt bode well for the future.

How do you identify waffle ? example if a particular model, the textbook lists 4 pros and 4 cons, in my revision notes I include 2 pros and 2 cons.

It just seems so frustrating to learn 75 pages when perhaps the essay section will only ask about 10 pages.

awesome I will try flashcards, but will take ages to write them all out lol. Ive tried the look cover repeat method, I spent 90 minutes each afternoon memoring my notes. But after like 2 weeks, I will forget what I memorised 14 days ago :/

Sometimes I feel like im just not clever enough as the other students or suppose to be at uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (52)
26.4%
As I expected (65)
32.99%
Harder (72)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.06%

Watched Threads