Contactless penalty fare on tfl? Watch

Asfand98
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can someone tell me what the penalty fare is for not tapping on the bus with a contactless card only for the inspector to come on. Even though he didn’t say anything, I’m sure they’ll find out and slap me with it. Also is the penalty dare deducted from the bank account? Without you knowing? It was the first time that I have ever done this and I’m a complete fool. I learnt my lesson though if someone could answer all those questions that would be great
Dysf(x)al
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Asfand98)
Can someone tell me what the penalty fare is for not tapping on the bus with a contactless card only for the inspector to come on. Even though he didn’t say anything, I’m sure they’ll find out and slap me with it. Also is the penalty dare deducted from the bank account? Without you knowing? It was the first time that I have ever done this and I’m a complete fool. I learnt my lesson though if someone could answer all those questions that would be great
I think each bus operator has its own policy. You'll have to look up the policies of the bus provider you used.
Asfand98
Rep:
?
It was a London bus
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Isn't it 80 pounds (or 40 if you pay within 21 days)?

I don't think it's automatically deducted, and I believe the revenue protection officer would ordinarily issue you with a piece of paper confirming the fine? I could be wrong, though.
Asfand98
Rep:
?
He didn’t say anything to me, and if it’s not automatically detected then how else would they make me pay it?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think its $80
Asfand98
Rep:
?
But how is it deducted?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But how is it deducted?
They write to you.
Asfand98
Rep:
?
But how as I was using a contactless? Their is no information stored on contactless cards
Asfand98
Rep:
?
No that is incorrect, tfl can not access Information on the cards as they would need to ask permission from banks to do so and if it’s a foreign bank than you can forget about it. TfL can only check your journey and fair that’s it. And the police thing is a different mater as the banks have to provide them with details whereas they are not obliged to do the same for tfl
Michelle2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The Inspector won't know you haven't paid. What happens is, the Inspector's machine gets downloaded, and when the central computer realises you haven't paid, your card gets blacklisted so that you cannot use it in future on London Transport unless you pay your unpaid fare. No information is stored on your card.
username2911200
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No that is incorrect, tfl can not access Information on the cards as they would need to ask permission from banks to do so and if it’s a foreign bank than you can forget about it. TfL can only check your journey and fair that’s it. And the police thing is a different mater as the banks have to provide them with details whereas they are not obliged to do the same for tfl
TFL can and will ask your bank for that information, they're not going to lose £40-80 for the sake of not sending an email to them. The bank will give them the information (they have no reason not to, it's part of their job) that a transaction wasn't made at the time the bus arrived at the stop you got on at.
Michelle2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Glassapple)
TFL can and will ask your bank for that information, they're not going to lose £40-80 for the sake of not sending an email to them. The bank will give them the information (they have no reason not to, it's part of their job) that a transaction wasn't made at the time the bus arrived at the stop you got on at.
They cannot ask the bank for that information. It would be illegal under The Data Protection Act
A+B+C
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The ticket inspector can't give you a fine without making you aware of it that's illegal.

Give this a read https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...nd-enforcement
Asfand98
Rep:
?
I read somewhere that when I next tap in I’ll get charged a revenue inspection charge. Anyone know what and how much that is?
A+B+C
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I read somewhere that when I next tap in I’ll get charged a revenue inspection charge. Anyone know what and how much that is?
When using a bus you only tap in, not out so there will be no record of you ever being on the bus.

What happens when someone who has multiple bank cards and accidentally shows the wrong one, they can't just get fined, there has to be some communication from the inspector first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads