GCSE Pearson - Outstanding Pearson Learner Award

Watch
Trudless
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Last year I got 100% in Edexcel GCSE Art & Design: Fine Art. In Malaysia my friend got the same mark and received a Pearson Outstanding Pearson Learner Award for 'Highest Mark in the World'. Would 100% not be considered pretty much the highest mark in the world? Does anyone know how these awards are given? Or if I should follow up, but how would I do that?
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not sure about this but I assume the GCSE was made up of several components, perhaps coursework/controlled assessment and also exams? Most GCSEs are scored with UMS marks and that's the number you see next to the grade on results day. UMS marks are different to raw marks, so while you might have got full UMS marks, e.g. 200/200, the likelihood is you didn't get full raw marks - raw marks being "real marks". For example, when the grade boundaries are set, they can be translated into raw marks, e.g. 100/200 = D which might be 50/100 raw marks, 120/200 = C which might be 56 raw marks etc etc all the way to the A*. Eventually they run out of raw marks and so anyone who gets over say 95 raw marks will be awarded full UMS as the conversion eventually stops and there's a cap. So your friend must have beaten you by a couple of raw marks.
Trudless
Rep:
?
Thank you lots for that clear explanation. Explains everything.
Would you know if there is a way to find out your raw marks?
Thanks lots.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trudless)
Thank you lots for that clear explanation. Explains everything.
Would you know if there is a way to find out your raw marks?
Thanks lots.
The centre where you took the exams could tell you.
Trudless
Rep:
?
[Thank you. Will try them.
Trudless
Rep:
?
Back again!
My centre told me I received 100% in both modules (only two modules) - I know it's a trivial thing but just curious how it works.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads