Anyone predicted less than 3As for A-level? Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Perhaps they might want to apply to university based on something other than the highest entry requirements?!? I'm sure if you show your teachers your selections they would give you an idea your chances so some people might want to consider uni's before thier grades.
but even so you need to know then the entry requirements of these unis, and these need to be matched with your predicted grades!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Don't worry - I only knew for sure because we're having a big debate here at Soton at the moment about whether to move from offers covering 21 units (3 A levels + 1 AS) to A levels only - which will probably mean most depts changing their published "typical offers" to grades instead of points (especially given that we specify minimum grades in certain subjects for certain courses)
This is a very good thing, I remember reading the Comp Sci requirements and thinking.....how the hell do I get 370 points when I can only count 18 units?!? :confused: (ahh to be young and stupid).
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Don't worry - I only knew for sure because we're having a big debate here at Soton at the moment about whether to move from offers covering 21 units (3 A levels + 1 AS) to A levels only - which will probably mean most depts changing their published "typical offers" to grades instead of points (especially given that we specify minimum grades in certain subjects for certain courses)
why do they normally only offer grades then? from my personal experience, and that of my friends who applied to RG Unis, offers were only based on grades rather than points
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by asdasdagaga)
and these need to be matched with your predicted grades!
WHY?!? Universities make offers to people who's grades are below the requirements and they reject people above them so at the end of th day it is still in the hands of the admissions tutors. Also, students should not base thier selections on which unis match thier grades (well in theory anyway :rolleyes: ).
TheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leekey)
WHY?!? Universities make offers to people who's grades are below the requirements and they reject people above them so at the end of th day it is still in the hands of the admissions tutors. Also, students should not base thier selections on which unis match thier grades (well in theory anyway :rolleyes: ).
Admission tutors are more likely to give offers to people who have good prediction grades rather than bad prediction grades!
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Because 370 points from 21 units with at least 220 points from 2 A levels is far far more offputting than simply ABBb

Oh and UCAS don't get on very well electronically with points based offers (!)
so could you take 10 AS levels at grade D to get on an AAA course?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
No - they're more likely to give offers to people with excellent personal statements and a passion for their subject.

Offers for students with high predicted grades are likely to be higher than students with low predicted grades.
That is what i said in my last post, so why the No?
Quiksilver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No

the 2 offers I listed are the same - 21 units restricted the offer to covering 3 A levels and 1 AS level.
oh i see
Leekey
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by asdasdagaga)
That is what i said in my last post, so why the No?
No you implied they DON'T GIVE OFFERS to students with lower predicted grades. PQ said that WHEN OFFERS ARE MADE they are made higher for students with higher predicted grades.

The No was there to disagree with your (all be it implied) opinion that grades are the deciding factor in university admissions. At interviews, opendays etc... I have NEVER had ANYONE connected with ANY university ask me about my predicted grades, they were more concearnd that I had a passion for what I wanted to do and that I could articulate that passion well.
AcerBen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I got predicted BBC (it was nearly BCC but I begged my French teacher and ha I got an A in the end)
PsychBrainiac
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I was predicted AAA. Achieved AAB. Just getting over it now 3 weeks later lol
PeoplesPrincess
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was predicted AAB and got ABC...oops :rolleyes:
PsychBrainiac
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PeoplesPrincess)
I was predicted AAB and got ABC...oops :rolleyes:
Did you meet your university offer though? What subjects did you take at A Level?
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm yet to be told what I'm going to be predicted but at the very worst it will be AABB.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
No it wasn't - you said a student predicted BBB applying for an AAB course wouldn't be made an offer.

I said a student predicted AAAA applying for an AAB course would most likely be offered AAA or AAB. A student predicted BBB applying for the same course would most likely be offer ABB or even BBB if their PS or interview performance was good.
So its better to get a lower prediction grade? :rolleyes:
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was predicted ABC & got AAA in the end.
Jump
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
I was predicted ABC & got AAA in the end.
nice one!
TheWolf
Rep:
?
No - it's better to get a predicted grade that you're likely either achieve or possible exceed.
Firstly, do you think that people with low grade predictions such as abb will be as likely to recieve an offer as someone with aaa predictions?
Dynamite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
AS: Results - AAAAA

A2: Predictions - AAAA

Dropped 1 AS
TheWolf
Rep:
?
For an AAB course someone predicted ABB would not have their application automatically rejected because of their predicted grades. However if on reading the personal statement and reference the admissions tutor didn't feel the applicant had sufficient enthusiasm and talent for the subject then they may not recieve an offer - but then the same is true for someone with 7As already in the bag applying for an AAB course. The grades are a way of narrowing down the field and ensuring a certain level of knowledge...but they're definitely NOT the deciding factor.

Admissions tutors are looking for students who will excel and thrive on their course - A levels aren't a great predictor of that sort of potential...they're *a* predictor and they're considered but a grade or two either way doesn't represent a vast amount of talent and knowledge. An enthusiastic and engaging PS and a similar performance at interview on the other hand....
Agreed. However, you have to say a person with better grade predictions will get an advantage in getting an offer than someone with worse grade predictions.

i was told by my teachers if you appply for a course that asks for aab and you are predicted abb, you have no chance.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (131)
46.45%
Pro-humanity (151)
53.55%

Watched Threads