The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Unconditional vs. Two choices dilemma

I have just received all five of my offers from UCAS. I know for a fact that if I chose two, I’d go for Sussex and Southampton Solent, but I’m just so torn!
I’ve been to both of their open days and if i’m honest, pretty much everything about Solent was so much better than Sussex for my course (English and Media.)
I’ve got an unconditional from Solent and an ABB offer from Sussex. I just don’t know what to do! I have a feeling that if I firm Sussex, I’ll get myself into a hassle of lecturers without passion pumping out 2:1s just to keep a good position in the rankings. However, I’m not sure if I should firm Solent just yet because what if going to a better ranked uni will really make a difference? We’re talking 21st I think against 103rd.
I’m so behind Solent because the lady that didn’t my phone interview was so lovely and she remembered me personally when I came to an open day, it really made me feel welcome. The facilities are much more modern and the staff seems so passionate and not pompous at all.
Do rankings matter? Should I accept the unconditional? I need serious help, haha
Original post by ronniemw
I have just received all five of my offers from UCAS. I know for a fact that if I chose two, I’d go for Sussex and Southampton Solent, but I’m just so torn!
I’ve been to both of their open days and if i’m honest, pretty much everything about Solent was so much better than Sussex for my course (English and Media.)
I’ve got an unconditional from Solent and an ABB offer from Sussex. I just don’t know what to do! I have a feeling that if I firm Sussex, I’ll get myself into a hassle of lecturers without passion pumping out 2:1s just to keep a good position in the rankings. However, I’m not sure if I should firm Solent just yet because what if going to a better ranked uni will really make a difference? We’re talking 21st I think against 103rd.
I’m so behind Solent because the lady that didn’t my phone interview was so lovely and she remembered me personally when I came to an open day, it really made me feel welcome. The facilities are much more modern and the staff seems so passionate and not pompous at all.
Do rankings matter? Should I accept the unconditional? I need serious help, haha

Rankings aren't everything, you should pick the one that suits you best whilst making sure the unconditional isnt clouding your judgement.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Rankings aren't everything, you should pick the one that suits you best whilst making sure the unconditional isnt clouding your judgement.

Don’t think this unconditional is affecting me, I have two other offers like that. But it was pretty difficult coming to terms with it being genuinely interest because a lot of people have told me unconditional offers tend to cloud people’s judgement
Don’t think this unconditional is affecting me, I have two other offers like that. But it was pretty difficult coming to terms with it being genuinely interest because a lot of people have told me unconditional offers tend to cloud people’s judgement

They can do, if all you had was conditionals where would you choose? That's your answer.

Hi @ronniemw

I'm Mike, a graduate intern at Solent working in the digital marketing team. It's really good to hear that you enjoyed the open day. Many students say that the open day was the reason for coming to Solent, due to the passionate lecturers and the engaging employability team.

A colleague of mine, Joel (Video Production Graduate Intern) studied English and Media, so if you want to have a chat with him about how the course was he'd be more than happy to help.

If you pass on any questions, I can get him to respond on here. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending