The Student Room Group

Can I get accepted into Interior design at uni without 3D design?

Hi! I started college this year and my options were Textiles, Graphic design and Business. Will I be accepted into interior design courses at university? I know universities look for students with 3D design etc. Is there anyone out there who got in without 3D design?? I need advice ^-^
Original post by FAK
Hi! I started college this year and my options were Textiles, Graphic design and Business. Will I be accepted into interior design courses at university? I know universities look for students with 3D design etc. Is there anyone out there who got in without 3D design?? I need advice ^-^

If they say a design subject is acceptable then I assume they would accept you without 3d design :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If they say a design subject is acceptable then I assume they would accept you without 3d design :smile:

Ahhhh I feel reassured, thank you for the advice!! :h:
Original post by FAK

Hi FAK,

Even if you don't do a 3D design course as long as you can showcase your skills of design you will be fine. A lot of universities look for your passion and design thinking while looking at your portfolio. At Ravensbourne if you show us your passion for the course, industry knowledge and if you have good design skills you will be in the chance to get a place.

I also thought you might like to know about our BA Interior Design Environment Architectures course. It's taught by industry professionals and our students work on live briefs and competitions as well as industry stand briefs throughout their time here. Our recent collaboration was with Ford where our students designed the interior of one of their cars and after each team pitched their ideas at the end the winning teams designs were chosen to be the new interior.

If your ever in London I recommend coming to an open day to find out more information and to get to see the building and tutors yourself. Here is also a link to portfolio and interview tips. We also offer workshops to help you get your portfolio prepared and reviewed before coming to an interview,

I hope this helped and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Row:h:
Original post by FAK

Hi there,

I study Interior Design at Sheffield Hallam University and I studied Fine Art, Chemistry and Spanish at Sixth Form. It is great that you already do graphics, textiles and business because they are all definitely transferable skills for interior design. I don't think you should have a problem not knowing 3D design.

I had no real graphics or CAD experience but demonstrated all the creative skills I did have in my Portfolio and they accepted me on the course. A lot of fellow my students also had a similar experience to me. I am now a confident Photoshop, Indesign, Sketchup and Vectorworks user. You will learn all of those skills at University and have time to develop them.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I can be of any more assistance

Chandni

Quick Reply

Latest