Royal wedding another waste of tax payers money?

Watch
Poll: Should tax payers fund royal events?
Yes because it’s better than spending money on public services. (2)
12.5%
No. Public services should come first! (14)
87.5%
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
With cuts to the NHS, Education and welfare, why is it ok to throw tax payers money onto a Royal wedding?
icequeenTM
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This ones quite tricky. Yes it’s the tax payers money we are spending on a f****** wedding but the royals bring in tourists which therefore counteracts that. But then there’s the issue of if there was to be a bank holiday for a royal whose 6th in line (pathetic really 😂) for succession that would mean the loss of billions of pounds in productivity
humanteaparty
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
God save our fascist queen!
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"The Royal Family will pay for the wedding" - BBC News.

It's on private land already protected, so additional protection costs will be minimal.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
With cuts to the NHS, Education and welfare, why is it ok to throw tax payers money onto a Royal wedding?
Royal weddings make a profit for the taxpayer.

£222M was spent on William and Kate wedding souvenirs alone. The net VAT on that (20% of sales less 20% of the cost of materials) exceeded the £20M cost of the wedding to the taxpayer. Then think of all the hotels, restaurant bills etc.
pfdavina
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
Paris brings in more tourists, and they dealt with their blue-blooded parasites centuries ago.

Tourists come to Britain to see Britishness. If you replaced the queen with a standing army of Mary Poppins characters, you'd probably save a lot of money while only increasing tourism. It isn't like you would knock the palaces down.
I disagree with you. Let's be utterly honest. Britain is very boring to visit. France has the city of love (Paris with the Eiffel Tower ) and lovely places like Monte Carlo, and disney land and Norte dame etc etc and although we have stuff like the London eye and Big Ben 'our royals' are an attraction and you should see the thousands of tourists visiing Buckingham Palace each day. They really are a major attraction.
In addition to that, the only place to really enjoy yourself in the uk is London, and again as I mentioned above in France there is so much more.
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Firstly, the royal family are paying for the wedding. So well done for not reading articles properly.

Secondly, royal weddings bring tourism. Like Kate and William's wedding in 2011 - this brings in money and increases tax revenue. So the taxpayers are most likely going to be benefiting from it, not losing out.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Firstly, the royal family are paying for the wedding. So well done for not reading articles properly.
There will be a cost to the taxpayer. It was about £20M in the case of the Cambridges for a wedding in central London even though the cost of the wedding was shared between the Royal Family and the Middletons.

The Royal Family do not pay for additional security. There will be more police on the streets of Windsor than on a normal day. They do not pay for additional costs of more people in town; street cleaning etc.

However as I said above, the extra VAT receipts on souvenirs will more than cover the cost.
ibiECG
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
On average the royal family bring in a revenue of £500,000,000 per annum. On the other hand they cost an average of 50-60 million to maintain and run. So, we actually gain more than we lose.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I won't vote on a biased poll.
They've said they would use their own money to fund it, though I'm not sure where they get their money, other than tax payer money. :lol:
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannxm)
I won't vote on a biased poll.
They've said they would use their own money to fund it, though I'm not sure where they get their money, other than tax payer money. :lol:
Well Prince Harry is independently wealthy through his late mother. The Queen gets her money through the Duchy of Lancaster, not the tax payer.
Alfonzarello
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Royals leech far more out of the country than they put back in.
The Queen is the biggest landowner in the world, all that land was stolen from us "peasants". If we could have our land back that would be worth billions.
The argument for "they bring in tourism" is a big fabricated myth. There is no proof whatsoever that people come here because of the royals. More people visit Legoland than Windsor Castle, people visit France to see all their historic buildings even though they killed off their parasitic monarchs years ago.
So in the end with all the tax fiddling, hiding money in trusts and stealing all our land..no the monarchy consume far more off us than they ever have put in.
Get rid of them.
msfm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agree with you totally,get rid,they are a bloody joke,horrible bloody bunch of scroungers! Poverty in this country should not be happening in this day and age,the money should have been spent on that,the nhs which is in deep trouble and homelessness ,spend it on something useful not something that is not going to last and costs us money,2018 we should be republican now.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pfdavina)
I disagree with you. Let's be utterly honest. Britain is very boring to visit. France has the city of love (Paris with the Eiffel Tower ) and lovely places like Monte Carlo, and disney land and Norte dame etc etc and although we have stuff like the London eye and Big Ben 'our royals' are an attraction and you should see the thousands of tourists visiing Buckingham Palace each day. They really are a major attraction.
In addition to that, the only place to really enjoy yourself in the uk is London, and again as I mentioned above in France there is so much more.
Monte Carlo isn't in France
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This post is moronic. The poll is idiotic.

The royals bring in substantially more than they cost to maintain. Look up any statistic at all. You’re BETTER off with the royals than without them. Public services get MORE money with the royal wedding than without it.

It’s not a waste, it’s an extremely lucrative investment.

This thread can now die.
people333
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Less of a waste than faking terrorist attacks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads