The Student Room Group

Dropping my 4th- Geography or Music?

I'm in year 12 and taking biology, chemistry, geography and music. I enjoy all of my subjects and I'm doing fine in them but I'm just worried that taking 4 a levels will be too much work so I'd have to sacrifice my social life, hobbies and general well being or get worse grades. My friends who were taking 4 have all dropped to 3 apart from one who does further maths. AS levels aren't an option since my college doesn't fund them. I'm coping with all 4 ok right now but I know its only going to get harder.

It also doesn't help that I don't know what I want to do after a levels although chemistry and geography are degrees I've thought about and I'm also considering nursing or possibly medicine but I'm still looking into this as l know it's insanely competitive.

I've decided I need to keep both sciences since it seems like most science degrees require at least 2 of these so I will have to drop geography or music but I can't decide which.

I love music but I think having a career in it would be a bad idea. It would be hard to earn enough to live on and I couldn't transfer to another job easliy. I probably won't have another chance to study music which is why I'm so reluctant to srop it. I've got it into my head that I would need a level music to become a good musician which I know isn't true.

At the same time, I love parts of geography and don't want to drop it and then realise that I'd have wanted to have a job in it. It's also one of the only degrees I can think of taking.

Any advice?
(edited 6 years ago)
I take biology, chemistry and geography at A-Level and they’re a really good mix! Biology and geography link together a lot
If it were me I would drop music. Purely because you have said a career in music would be a bad idea for you. Also because music is probably the easiest subject to pick up again as a hobby. You don't have to stop doing what you love, we never stop learning so picking music up after university would not be a bad idea. Also unless you plan to go for a arts/humanities related degree geography looks far more academic on a science-related application.
Drop music probably the only useless one out of the 4

Quick Reply

Latest