The Student Room Group
no.
This is not enough. Around 11 A*'S are needed for medicine. I would recommend perhaps pursuing a different career. Perhaps biomedical or mcdonalds?
:https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search
Yes its good enough , Just do well in A levels and UkCat/Bmat and you'll be fine and any Russell Group uni tbf :h:
Reply 3
A lot of Universities don't care too much about GCSEs up to a certain point, yours seem strong enough. I wouldn't get ahead of yourself there is still a mountain to climb by getting very good A-level grades (A*AA), performing well on the UKCAT/BMAT, having a strong personal statement, and doing well at the interview.
Reply 4
Original post by georgia2566
and what unis do u recommend

Yeah, the average for Medicine at Oxbridge is about 6 A*s, which is almost certainly the highest of any universities for Medicine. So yeah, that's definitely good enough.

But GCSEs are really just a minor thing, you should definitely focus on achieving well at A level if you look to study Medicine - A levels show your true ability. Medicine is probably the most competitive course in the country, so good luck.
Ofc unless you want to apply to top unis but you are fineee trust me !!
Original post by mariejuana
no.
This is not enough. Around 11 A*'S are needed for medicine. I would recommend perhaps pursuing a different career. Perhaps biomedical or mcdonalds?
:https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search

Can you stfu? People like you need to apply for Mcdonalds.
Reply 7
Original post by Zach3
Yeah, the average for Medicine at Oxbridge is about 6 A*s, which is almost certainly the highest of any universities for Medicine. So yeah, that's definitely good enough.

Oxford averages 10.4 A* for successful applicants.

6A* is a great achievement. However many studying medicine will have more.

The good news is that there are online resources to guide you as to which uni best suits your qualifications.
(edited 6 years ago)
(Year 13 here), GCSE's are borderline irrelevant by uni application time (Unless you want to go to oxford). I'd say base whether you should do medicine or not based on how you are doing this year. I'm sure you are doing well since your GCSE's look promising, although I must say often GCSE success doesn't reflect A level success. I know a couple of students who began to drop off in grades when they began A levels, and personally I've improved in a levels by a huge degree. Either way, take interest in your subjects and dont stop until you understand everything, then good things will happen to you! You'll be just fine!
These kind of threads is why TSR is such a meme
Reply 10
Original post by PatThatRat
(Year 13 here), GCSE's are borderline irrelevant by uni application time (Unless you want to go to oxford). I'd say base whether you should do medicine or not based on how you are doing this year. I'm sure you are doing well since your GCSE's look promising, although I must say often GCSE success doesn't reflect A level success. I know a couple of students who began to drop off in grades when they began A levels, and personally I've improved in a levels by a huge degree. Either way, take interest in your subjects and dont stop until you understand everything, then good things will happen to you! You'll be just fine!

I have to politely disagree with most if what you are saying here. Gcses are key to the overwhelming majority of Unis. I used to think GCSEs were irrelevant but once you have gone through the process of application you will realise just how critical they are. For example don’t even think about applying to Cardiff unless you have at least 6 though more realistically 7A*. Edinburgh 8-11A*. You can find tables out there that show the minimum GCSE requirements. But these really are the absolute MINIMUM. Just google a freedom for information request (website -whatdotheyknow) on what the average gcse grades are for any Uni and you will see for yourself.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Just look at the chart above. This year there were 1667 applicants for oxford medicine. Only 150 get a place. The rest of the candidates averaging around 8-10A* at gcse and all predicted A*s at A level then go onto secure places at other medical schools. That is the competition you are facing.

Once you have jumped the 1st gate of great GCSEs you then have to take either the UKCAT or BMAT. Again a really big challenge that you would be naive to not prepare for.
Predicted a level grades tend to be the easiest part of the process because they tend to be inflated whereas GCSE / BMAT/ UKCAT scores have been attained. Unis know that. The only time A level grades for medicine are taken seriously is once you have got the grades. Ie you take a gap year.
There will,of course be rare exceptions but they are that, RARE. In the same way that I am sure someone will have walked across a busy road with their eyes shut at some time, it is rare but inadvisable. You really do not want to go blind into this one. To pretend GCSEs are not a key aspect to your application is wishful thinking.

However the OPs original 6A* which whilst excellent for most degrees is below average for most medical schools, can be built on. But I would not play the “it will all work out” card. You need a killer personal statement built on genuine work experience and reading. Prep for the UKCAT or BMAT. Also if your school is from a disadvantaged area or you have extenuating circumstances then that will be taken into consideration increasing your chances. Once you have done that you have to carefully study what unis really need. Dig beneath what the minimum requirements are to find what does the average successful student get. The TSR medical application threads are very useful and worth following.

Sorry if this has been blunt. But it is correct. At least you can choose or action plan based on correct information to give yourself the best chance.
Sources: in text plus based on being a teacher for 27 years and a parent to a daughter who got the following.
Offers for medicine from UCL, Bristol, Newcastle, interviews from Cardiff and Oxford. Visits to Manchester and exeter too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PatThatRat

What grades did you get at GCSE in the subjects you are doing for A-level and what are you predicted to get in them?
Original post by rugose
I have to politely disagree with most if what you are saying here. Gcses are key to the overwhelming majority of Unis. I used to think GCSEs were irrelevant but once you have gone through the process of application you will realise just how critical they are. For example don’t even think about applying to Cardiff unless you have at least 6 though more realistically 7A*. Edinburgh 8-11A*. You can find tables out there that show the minimum GCSE requirements. But these really are the absolute MINIMUM. Just google a freedom for information request (website -whatdotheyknow) on what the average gcse grades are for any Uni and you will see for yourself.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Just look at the chart above. This year there were 1667 applicants for oxford medicine. Only 150 get a place. The rest of the candidates averaging around 8-10A* at gcse and all predicted A*s at A level then go onto secure places at other medical schools. That is the competition you are facing.

Once you have jumped the 1st gate of great GCSEs you then have to take either the UKCAT or BMAT. Again a really big challenge that you would be naive to not prepare for.
Predicted a level grades tend to be the easiest part of the process because they tend to be inflated whereas GCSE / BMAT/ UKCAT scores have been attained. Unis know that. The only time A level grades for medicine are taken seriously is once you have got the grades. Ie you take a gap year.
There will,of course be rare exceptions but they are that, RARE. In the same way that I am sure someone will have walked across a busy road with their eyes shut at some time, it is rare but inadvisable. You really do not want to go blind into this one. To pretend GCSEs are not a key aspect to your application is wishful thinking.

However the OPs original 6A* which whilst excellent for most degrees is below average for most medical schools, can be built on. But I would not play the “it will all work out” card. You need a killer personal statement built on genuine work experience and reading. Prep for the UKCAT or BMAT. Also if your school is from a disadvantaged area or you have extenuating circumstances then that will be taken into consideration increasing your chances. Once you have done that you have to carefully study what unis really need. Dig beneath what the minimum requirements are to find what does the average successful student get. The TSR medical application threads are very useful and worth following.

Sorry if this has been blunt. But it is correct. At least you can choose or action plan based on correct information to give yourself the best chance.
Sources: in text plus based on being a teacher for 27 years and a parent to a daughter who got the following.
Offers for medicine from UCL, Bristol, Newcastle, interviews from Cardiff and Oxford. Visits to Manchester and exeter too.

Wow.

I am thinking of studying computing science at a good uni, what kind of GCES grades grades should I get? what about a levels?

What does the avarage computing applicant at oxbridge have?

Thanks in advanced.
Reply 13
Just in case anyone thinks OP is bragging, Medicine is extremely competitive and many applicants with 10 A*s fail to get into medical school.

I think your 6 A*s are brilliant and are suitable for non GCSE heavy universities. However, I believe you might be at a slight disadvantage (but nothing significant) if you apply to GCSE heavy ones like Oxford, Edinburgh and Birmingham.

In short, don't worry. Focus on your A levels and make sure you get predicted grades of at least AAA.
Reply 14
Original post by abcDEFG667
Wow.

I am thinking of studying computing science at a good uni, what kind of GCES grades grades should I get? what about a levels?

What does the avarage computing applicant at oxbridge have?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi

I can’t say I know enough about comp sci this but a quick search on the freedom of information website got me this which should be of interest to you.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_for_comput#incoming-1076479

There will be other FOI requests which are to my mind the best sources of realiable information.
Reply 15
Original post by Baaah

I think your 6 A*s are brilliant and are suitable for non GCSE heavy universities. However, I believe you might be at a slight disadvantage (but nothing significant) if you apply to GCSE heavy ones like Oxford, Edinburgh and Birmingham.

In short, don't worry. Focus on your A levels and make sure you get predicted grades of at least AAA.

Sorry but you are mistaken on at least 2 counts here. But you are right on saying the OPs GCSEs are excellent.

Your chance of getting into oxford medicine with 6A* were zero for 2017 admission https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

The average succesful oxford candidate gets over 10A* at GCSE.

For edinburgh the median number of A * at GcSe was also 10.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/292100/response/719459/attach/6/Response%20Harris.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Original post by abcDEFG667
What grades did you get at GCSE in the subjects you are doing for A-level and what are you predicted to get in them?

GCSE's:
English Lang:A
English Lit:B
Music:B
Stats:B
Maths: A*
Chem:A
Physics:A
Biology:B
Geography:B
Engineering:C
Computing:A*
At AS I did Physics, maths, further maths and chemistry and got A in all 4 and my predicted grades are A*A*A*A in the same subjects.
Absolutely.

A friend of mine, with the same grades as you at GCSE, received offers from both Leicester and Nottingham to study medicine. However, she also did really well on her UKCAT.

At the moment, it can just be concluded that your GCSEs won't rule you out for medicine. Whether you actually get an offer relies on various factors, including medical admission tests and A-level predicted grades to name a few.
It depends where you want to go.

6A* for Oxford or Birmingham is below average. For most other medical school it will be around average.

I’d say in most cases you’ll be fine, but still check as some places are harsher on GCSEs than others.
Original post by Zach3

But GCSEs are really just a minor thing, you should definitely focus on achieving well at A level if you look to study Medicine - A levels show your true ability. Medicine is probably the most competitive course in the country, so good luck.

Must be about 7 or 8.