The Student Room Group

Because i’m I’ll my GCSE’s are hopeless.

I’m in year 11 but my attendance is below 40% because I have CFS, Depression and other medical problems that makes it near impossible for me to get into school (I rarely leave the house, only at weekends to take a walk or something). I’ve not been in for over a month and I’ve missed so much of the 5 years in high school. I’m predicted B’s (6’s) in most of my subjects however my grades have dropped to low C’s and D’s in the past year because my medical issues have gotten much worse. I can’t get any work done at home because Im asleep most of the day and trying to take care of myself the rest. There is nothing doctors/hospitals can do for me because I’m already taking as much medication as I can (I go almost every week and have multiple upcoming appointments but nothing that will make a big improvement on my health). I am dreading my GCSE’s because I know I’m going to fail pretty much all of them, and the school aren't helping. They say they can’t send much work home and there’s nothing they can do. What am I supposed to do?? I don’t want to fail but it all seems hopeless, will I be able to get higher education? Will I be able to get a job? I need some advice.
Well if you can't deal with high school then a job would be just as hard to get to.In terms of study - you say you are in bed most days. Make a vow to do at least 2 hours of work each day.It can simply be watching YouTube videos on each subject( e.g. Chemistry Biology Physics, hard maths stuff explanations of the poems in English Lit. Spend time reading the book for English Lang. Etc.I know what you are going through is tough, but if you can secure yourself decent GCSEs then you can have your whole life to deal with other stuff.Again just 2 hours a day including weekends and the will make a big difference. Another thing - stick with 8 most important ones and ignore the others if it is too much. You need at least a C in Maths, English Lit and Lang, Physics, Biokogy, Chemistry and 2 more.Also maybe a tutor could come to your house if your parents can afford it? Btw what is CFS ( is that cystic fibrosis or something else?).Good luck with everything. And all is not lost as you can always redo them online in the future.
Reply 2
Your school has an obligation to provide you with an education so your parents should insist that work is sent home for you or a visiting tutor is arranged. Ask for a meeting with the school to agree a more limited timetable for you (absolute maximum of 8 subjects but 5 may be more realistic) to work on.

In terms of working at home, keep within what you are well enough to manage without running out of steam - if you've had CFS for a while you ought to recognise the signs. If you can only do 10 minutes at a go without flagging then just do that. You may find it easier to listen to stuff than read it so see if you can listen to useful stuff - e.g. recordings of your set books - as you may be able to do that for longer.

Quick Reply

Latest