Stirling: Msc Big Data
Robert Gordon: Msc Data Science
Manchester Metropolitan: Msc Data Analytics
Leicester: Msc Data Analysis For Business Intelligence
Salford: Msc Data Science
Derby: Msc Big Data Analytics
Bradford: Msc Big Data Science And Technology
Brunel: Msc Data Science And Analytics

I know that my list is not a fancy one, but I have got a 2.2 degree in Economics, so my choices are very limited. Personally I have heard good comments for Brunel and Warwick, but nothing solid. Under the assumption that these universities can actually accept me, which would be your choices? If you believe that a university does not even worth the time/money just ignore it in your list.

Personally, I take into account reputation and the environment (i.e. if the professors are actually try to help).

Note: If you have any other university in your mind, feel free to include it.

Thank you in advance
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by William29)
There's no point in thinking about this now, you need to sort and order them once you have offers.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't comment on the courses, but at PG level you can apply to as many, or as few, as you want. You'll have to do your own ranking about what's important to you (research? links to industry? city? countryside? internships? etc) Do you have any work experience which could help mitigate some of the 2.2?
William29
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Do you have any work experience which could help mitigate some of the 2.2?
I have a dual degree from the Open University and a US College in Greece. They have consulted me to refer full time jobs as internship in my CV, because none of my degrees is part time. Nevertheless, I have worked in the position of shipbroker trainee, I was head administrator and co-founder in an online gaming services organization and I have been offered the position of Analyst in a Maritime Corporation for 6 months (until August).
Also, my grades are gradually raising as the years pass (e.g. Micro- and Macroeconomic Theses are both around 90%) and I am going to present my research in the college symposium. Also, my supervisor suggested me to continue my research (my theses are interrelated) to achieve a publication in my MSc (this is one of my reference letters). Finally, my research has been conducted with R programming language, which is used for Data Science and Statistics.

In general, there is stuff to include in my CV and personal statement.

(Original post by Duncan2012)
You'll have to do your own ranking about what's important to you (research? links to industry? city? countryside?)
I don't really mind the place except London. I didn't really like London (cultural diversity in that extend is chaotic), but I'll go if there isn't any other equivalent alternative around. University links to the industry and reputation are important to me. Besides Warwick, Essex and Brunel, I haven't heard anything about the rest. For example, I have heard that Essex is considered a mediocre university, therefore it will limit my choices afterwards. There are a lot of open positions in large corporations for Data Science, so I want to have a chance to get interviewed.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
There's no point in thinking about this now, you need to sort and order them once you have offers.
The problem is not the offers rather that I have no idea about the most. For example, I am going to avoid Manchester Metropolitan due to the old Polytechnique mentality. Also, I have seen in this forum that Southampton Solent has a bad reputation outside of it. Former students will become future employers, therefore I would like to avoid "not ok" universities. Btw, I am from Greece and UK universities are the most expensive universities in Europe. If I have to go in a "not ok" university, I prefer to check my choices in the rest of Europe, which are cheaper.

Which of these MSc holders would you take under consideration for an interview? Is there any considerable difference between these universities?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (157)
44.1%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
8.15%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (75)
21.07%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (21)
5.9%

Watched Threads