Oxbridge computer Science interview question

Watch this thread
Revision 99
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It is a fact that, apart from the peripherals, the whole of a computer can be made from NAND gates. The Egyptians created NAND gates using marbles rolling down chutes and employed them as booby traps in pyramids. Did the Egyptians invent the computer? If not, explain fundamentally why not.

I've been called for computer science interview at Cambridge. The above is one of the sample questions asked at an interview. How would I go about this question?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Revision 99)
It is a fact that, apart from the peripherals, the whole of a computer can be made from NAND gates. The Egyptians created NAND gates using marbles rolling down chutes and employed them as booby traps in pyramids. Did the Egyptians invent the computer? If not, explain fundamentally why not.

I've been called for computer science interview at Cambridge. The above is one of the sample questions asked at an interview. How would I go about this question?
Presumably the usual rules apply i.e. there isn't a right answer as such and the question is there to provide you with an opening to impress them with what you think about logic gates and what makes a computer a computer.
If you're into ancient tech I guess you might want to talk about the Antikythera mechanism - which was a computer that didn't contain logic gates of any sort... or something like that.

anyway I don't have any inside knowledge but there are or were some oxbridge CS admissions tutors knocking around on TSR - posting on an oxbridge forum seems to summon them if they're about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads