The Student Room Group

Anxiety at university

Hello,

Has anyone got any tips for overcoming anxiety symptoms (GAD) while at uni? What do you do to ground yourself quickly and regain focus when you have physical anxiety symptoms quite literally 24/7

Mainly in lectures (or sometimes even getting to them), I often find myself heavy breathing, sweating, shaking, dizzy, disorientated, headaches etc. Often the symptoms are bought on completely out the blue!

Also releasing tension, I exercise a lot to try and control stress and anxiety, but the muscle tension from anxiety in your neck and shoulders is something else!

Thank you
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
This was me last year... I would cry at everything.

I went to my GP and was prescribed medication which I was sceptical about at first but now I’m so thankful for them.

I’d also recommend counselling... it’s weird how well it works. Even if it just gets you used to talking about issues without feeling anxious or crying!

I made a conscious effort to go to every lecture to take my mind off of things and talk to people. I also tried not to spend a lot of time in my room alone. Even spending a few hours in the library really helped me focus on my work and take my mind away from negative things.
Just general things I found helpful:

1. Sit near doors - Just encase you feel like you need to freak out, having the choice to take 5 minutes by heading outside really helps. Even knowing its there as an option will help. No one cares if yo just leave a lecture for 5 mins. At the opposite end of the spectrum you might like sitting at the front, so you cant see all the people behind you and its like a one-on-one lecture?
2. In the first week or so, practice being in the lecture hall. Look up your timetable, familiarise yourself with the room, maybe sit in it and read or do your own work for a bit.
3. Let yourself known to the uni! They may be able to help with workshops/counselling. At the very least they should offer an alternative room for exams.
4. Read the lecture notes at home before hand. I found this helpful with my science degree as I knew the subject coming up and it felt less daunting.
5. Treat yourself in each lecture, reward yourself for going. I did this for my worst ones, i'd schedule a coffee or snack during and would munch away, it distracted me a bit.
6. It might be hard, but set yourself a regular bedtime, even if you don't have a lecture the next day, if you stick to a schedule I find the body is generally happier with having an internal clock.

If you haven't already, i'd see a doctor and see if there is any medication for relieving tension. With the neck tension maybe sticky heat pads? Neck exercise at the start of a lecture?

Good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies guys.

I work full time around my master's degree so have a strict routine for bedtimes etc. I always try and sleep but my quality has been rubbish lately.

I think my problem is my stress levels have been way too high lately and I can't switch off. I haven't been sleeping for awhile now and my anxiety always gets worse as a result. I haven't got an issue with uni per say, it's my anxiety affects absolutely everything, I even struggle shopping. I am 27 and completely healthy otherwise!

it's not panic attacks, my mind isn't thinking catastrophic thoughts, 9/10 times the anxiety attacks that scare me the most are the subconscious ones that come out the blue. Night time attacks are getting more common.

It's my job causing my health issues and it's affecting other aspects of my life. last Saturday when I got home from a grueling, stressful 12 hours shift, I didn't know whether to collapse, cry, have a panic attack, get angry, frustrated, run it off. It was a horrendous sensation and a horrible day in work. I didn't know what my body was telling me to do!

After a Camomile tea and deep breathing I was fine, just left with a lot of fatigue and following migraine the next day. (Always get migraines when I get that worked up!)

By the time I go to uni, I am still the repercussions from the attack a few days ago.

I have spoken to my doctors today. CBT hasn't helped in the past because stress has been a trigger for a long time. I do a lot of distance cycling to manage it but it doesn't feel enough lately. I have focused on Diet and exercise.

The doctor feels like Sertraline will be my best choice to manage long term. bit unsure, he has warned me the side effects aren't pleasant but will go away apparently. Not sure now.

Quick Reply

Latest