The Student Room Group

A level choices- how hard would this be?

Hey, at gcse I got 10A* 2A, and I want to do Chem, Biol, Phys and English lit for a level. This is including welsh Bac, so it would be 5 a levels. I want to do medicene so I need the grades to be high. Are these choices too difficult to do all at once??
I'd say too hard yeah. Unis only want three A levels you know. Why not drop one, e.g. physics? That's not necessary for medicine
Original post by ethistu7
I'd say too hard yeah. Unis only want three A levels you know. Why not drop one, e.g. physics? That's not necessary for medicine

Well, my parents want me to forget about English so the only reason I picked Physics was because it would look good for medicene. Wouldn’t my application be weaker if I took English lit? It’s not even relevant to science...
Reply 3
Lit is not that important for medicine. Maths and physics look good. I would probably get rid of English Lit.
Reply 4
I would say take all 5 and then drop one if need be - it's much easier to drop a subject than to take on a new one. I did well at GCSE (almost as well as you as I did less subjects) and started with 5 subjects, including maths and further maths, dropping my essay subject at AS to focus on my remaining science A Levels. I definitely think English Lit would be good, at least for your first year, since it's a nice break from the sciences and teaches you valuable essay skills. If you can make your writing sound better then this will help you for life.

For medicine, unis will want to see chemistry and biology for certain, and possibly maths - anything else is up to you. Personally I love physics, but if you're only taking it because it looks good and you don't really like it then it may not be the best choice; it shows logical thinking and some of the medical physics you learn in the end of the course would be useful, but it's not essential.

Judging by your GCSE results, you're pretty smart, so I'd say take them all and see how you do / which ones you are better at.
(edited 6 years ago)
Take all 5 at the start and see how you feel. If after a month or two you think you can manage then go from there, you can drop a subject any time you want

Is the Bac compulsory for you?
As someone who has applied to study medicine at university starting next year: you only need three A-Levels for any course at any university in the country. If you're wanting medicine, then the standard requirements will be chemistry and often biology. Some universities will require yet another science or maths subject. My opinion would be that you should only take English Literature if you're truly passionate about it. Start with the ones you've chosen and any you don't like immediately.

Quick Reply

Latest