The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

International Student - Chances of Admission to Edinburgh for Psychology

Hi,

I recently applied to UoE's MSc in Psychological Research (as an international student) and am wondering whether my application will likely be successful. In addition to a UK 2:1 honors degree in psych (or international equivalent), applicants must provide a (very short) personal statement and (only!) one reference.

My undergraduate is in psychology, my GPA is 3.85, and my letter of recommendation is from one of my former professors and it's strong. I think my personal statement was good enough; the prompt was really straightforward and easy to answer.

Compared to American universities, this application process seemed way too easy, especially for a prestigious university like Edinburgh.

Any idea what my chances are?
I was accepted.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
If you are international student, then you pay more. If you pay more, then Edinburgh will 100% accept you if you meet the minimum requirement. It is fairly easy to be admitted to Edinburgh as an international student.
Original post by PhilAndTheo
If you are international student, then you pay more. If you pay more, then Edinburgh will 100% accept you if you meet the minimum requirement. It is fairly easy to be admitted to Edinburgh as an international student.

100%? Really? Crazy! Well, it seems like a good opportunity!
Original post by PhysicalCities
100%? Really? Crazy! Well, it seems like a good opportunity!

Well, wouldn't you prefer Harvard or Yale over Edinburgh though :wink:? lol
Original post by PhilAndTheo
Well, wouldn't you prefer Harvard or Yale over Edinburgh though :wink:? lol

Maybe! I guess it depends on what their research strengths are; I haven't even looked into them. But I'm also really interested in the idea of living in another country for a while. We'll see what happens!
Original post by PhysicalCities
Maybe! I guess it depends on what their research strengths are; I haven't even looked into them. But I'm also really interested in the idea of living in another country for a while. We'll see what happens!

There is literally nothing that Harvard or Yale or Princeton or MIT or Stanford and etc isn't good at. Yes, we shall see what happens. In my opinion, if I managed to get accepted by the any of the aforementioned universities, then I wouldn't hesitate to decline Edinburgh :smile:.
I might have to look more seriously at the Ivy Leagues and other reputable schools for psychology here in the U.S. I appreciate the feedback! I've been so wrapped up in the idea of moving abroad that I haven't even started applying to schools over here, haha.

Quick Reply

Latest