The Student Room Group

Medicine and A-levels: Latin vs English

I have decided that I want to do medicine and I have to chose my a-level options. I have decided on chemistry biology and maths and EPQ (extra) but struggling with a fourth option. It's betweeen Latin and English literature. I like both subjects and do them both at gcse. At gcse I have found literature really easy so far (we have only done verses) and I am not sure which of the two to take. My worry is that if I take English the workload may be too much because it is a lot of essays. But at the same time I really enjoy English. My parents think English would be better because it shows that I have skills to write papers which doctors will have to do a lot in the future especially because I want to be a surgeon. In terms of how good I am, I am the same in both subjects. How much harder is Latin language and literature in comparison to gcse. I also want to study at Cambridge when I am older and my teacher said Latin looks good on uni applications. The Latin teachers at my school are really good but English teachers are half and half. Half are good and half are bad. I am really unsure on what to take. I want to take the subject with not too much workload because no I am worried that if I get a bad teacher for English I will have to teach myself the course. I have to chose soon and I am really struggling with my fourth option.
I have done Latin before and I would....
STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT TAKE IT
unless you like it
It can get quite boring and very sophisticated, taking up a lot of your time for a subject that is not really too impressive nowadays

BUT that is my opinion
and it is up to
In terms of difficulty which would you say is harder English or Latin?
Original post by Bailey Louise
In terms of difficulty which would you say is harder English or Latin?

Latin
But I did find it boring at the same time and never was really interested

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending