Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have this question to do: "To what extent was Truman's foreign policy in the years 1945 to 1952 a disastrous failure?".

I know the content itself pretty well, but how do I actually structure this? Do I start off with an introduction (agreeing or disagreeing right away) or is there something else to it?

My (shortened) plan is essentially this:

• Introduction (I partly agree - there were some events [e.g. Indochina, Israel, China and perhaps the Korean War] that were mostly failings, but the successes were really solid)
    • US Administration of Japan post-war (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement on success of this specific policy
    • The Marshall Plan (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement
    • Berlin Airlift (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement
    • Korean War (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement
    • Indochina (negatives) + Israel (negatives) + China (negatives) + mini-judgement on this area
    • Conclusion (Truman's foreign policy was successful in Europe for the most part but not so successful in Asia/Middle East [bring in some previous examples for this point])

When I say I'm doing a mini-judgement, I mean literally just saying in a sentence or two my overall impression of the policy and perhaps some consequences of it in the wider context.

Would I need to improve anything or would this be good enough to secure me a decent grade?

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think your plan looks really great. With history, it's always really important to argue both sides and evaluate your own argument, which it looks like you've planned to do! I used to do my essays in a similar format and it worked well. So stick to what you've outlined here and I think you'll get a good grade as long as the content is good!

edit; just realised this was a while ago so I'm assuming you've already done it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.