How far was Truman's foreign policy a disastrous failure? Watch

ronantheodor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically I have this question to do: "To what extent was Truman's foreign policy in the years 1945 to 1952 a disastrous failure?".

I know the content itself pretty well, but how do I actually structure this? Do I start off with an introduction (agreeing or disagreeing right away) or is there something else to it?

My (shortened) plan is essentially this:

• Introduction (I partly agree - there were some events [e.g. Indochina, Israel, China and perhaps the Korean War] that were mostly failings, but the successes were really solid)
  • US Administration of Japan post-war (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement on success of this specific policy
  • The Marshall Plan (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement
  • Berlin Airlift (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement
  • Korean War (positives and negatives) + mini-judgement
  • Indochina (negatives) + Israel (negatives) + China (negatives) + mini-judgement on this area
  • Conclusion (Truman's foreign policy was successful in Europe for the most part but not so successful in Asia/Middle East [bring in some previous examples for this point])

When I say I'm doing a mini-judgement, I mean literally just saying in a sentence or two my overall impression of the policy and perhaps some consequences of it in the wider context.

Would I need to improve anything or would this be good enough to secure me a decent grade?

Thanks.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think your plan looks really great. With history, it's always really important to argue both sides and evaluate your own argument, which it looks like you've planned to do! I used to do my essays in a similar format and it worked well. So stick to what you've outlined here and I think you'll get a good grade as long as the content is good!

edit; just realised this was a while ago so I'm assuming you've already done it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?