Considering Music GCSE or A level? Read our FAQ here! Watch

furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Music isn't a subject for everyone, but those that like it love it! Taking it for GCSE or A level can seem a bit daunting though, so this guide is here to help you find out more about it. It can be a great subject to show you're into a bit more of a range of things and also as a break in your week to do something maybe a bit different- I found it invaluable from this point of view, and really wish I had done it at A level too!

GCSE

What will I be studying?

The exact proportions vary, but your course will have elements of listening and analysis, composition and performance. For example, on Edexcel you'll study eight pieces in depth and a few more more generally to prepare you for the exam. Then just over half of your overall grade is split between two compositions and a short solo and ensemble performance. The other exam boards vary in the detail but have a similar basis- the music all comes from different genres so don't worry that it's going to be all classical!

How will I be assessed?

You'll take an exam at the end which will test you on the pieces you've studied and also some you've not heard before. This will contain elements of theory and see how well you understand the structure, instrumentation etc in different types generally and of those pieces specifically. Your composition and performance elements will be recorded, marked by your teacher and sent to the exam board to be moderated- more on that below.

What's the workload like, and how hard is it?

It depends a lot on your strengths and what you already know but it should be fairly similar to your other subjects. Music isn't the easy option you might think it is but it's not impossible either! If you play an instrument or sing already, can read music and identify some styles and instruments you should be fine. The advantage of the performance and composition elements is that it's not all left to be done in exam season either, although you will complete them fairly late on in the course for obvious reasons.

Performance? Composition? Ahhh!

These are the best part of it! Not everyone likes both by any stretch but GCSE is designed to ease you into them, they won't expect you to be a master straight away. Your teacher will get you playing to and with the class from the word go, and you might even get performance opportunities outside of this if you want them. Remember you have two years to improve so don't lose hope if you're not as good as you'd like at the beginning!

For composition, you'll learn how to form and structure basic tunes and then go from there. Some people find it a lot easier than others but for at least one of them you should have a brief from the exam board so at least that gives you a start point. You'll more than likely begin the course with some music theory which if you've not done it before will help your composition a lot too.

Is it a waste of an option?

No! Everyone I know loved music lessons- they were very different to other subjects and a nice break from the rest of the week, even if they didn't enjoy every part of it. Some of you may well be having instrumental lessons anyway which will cover a lot of the performance aspect, so that's one part not to worry about. See the A level section below for what skills you'll learn from music and it might be useful for, but it's definitely not a waste of an option and I'd recommend it to anyone already considering it really.

A level

What will I be studying?

As at GCSE what you study will be split into music appraisal (listening, theory and analysis), composition and performance. You'll study set works in detail and also learn about periods in general, how music has developed and what to expect from different composers. There is also a lot more emphasis on theory and harmony than at GCSE, and making comparisons between things you're hearing and have studied.

How will I be assessed?

You'll have one exam at the end of your course, containing technical exercises, listening tests and essays analysing and comparing aspects of what you've studied. You'll also submit performance and composition scores and recordings as you did at GCSE, which your teacher will mark before they're moderated by the exam board.

Is it very different to GCSE?

There is quite a big jump between GCSE and A level music. You'll study in a lot more depth and the knowledge, understanding and standard expected is quite different. That said, your teacher will be used to bridging the gap between them and if you enjoy music it's well worth doing. You'll get a lot of transferable skills out of it and whilst the workload is high, it shouldn't be significantly different to your other subjects and hopefully you'll have some fun doing it too!

I'm not sure I'm good enough..?

This is a tough question to answer. In terms of grades you would ideally be around grade 5 standard before you start the course in music practical and theory- if you haven't done the latter before this is something you'll need to work really hard on. Music GCSE isn't essential but will obviously help! The best thing to do if you're not sure is to talk to your teachers and see if potential colleges have any subject entry requirements.

What might it be useful for afterwards?

A surprising number of things! While there's not as much as some subjects in terms of direct careers (although with military and civilian musicians and teachers this is still an option), music has a lot of transferable and 'soft' skills which employers and professions in general look for. These include listening to and working with others, problem solving, logical and creative thinking, communication and analytical skills.

If you have anything you'd like to add to this or would like to be covered, let me know! There will be loads of these guides appearing in different forums to help with your choices, so have a look around. If there isn't one for your subject or think you'd like to make one yourself, just ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.21%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.17%
I don't think they'd understand (29)
16.38%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.98%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.25%

Watched Threads