The Student Room Group

Does studying law take up a lot of time

Compared to other courses does law take up the most time??
Original post by AvonRep
Compared to other courses does law take up the most time??

As Arts subjects go, definitely. We have about 7 Law students in my accommodation and all of them have between 15-23 contact hours a week; in Biomed, one of the most intensive contact science degrees, we have 25.

Other humanities subjects have around 6-12 hours a week. On the other hand, you do less background reading owing to reading cases and legal processes instead of novels, so it's sort of a tradeoff.
Original post by CastCuraga
As Arts subjects go, definitely. We have about 7 Law students in my accommodation and all of them have between 15-23 contact hours a week; in Biomed, one of the most intensive contact science degrees, we have 25.

Other humanities subjects have around 6-12 hours a week. On the other hand, you do less background reading owing to reading cases and legal processes instead of novels, so it's sort of a tradeoff.

This depends heavily on the University. At Cambridge they have a supervision system, in which you can get literally hundreds of pages of reading to do before hand.

Indeed there’s no novels, but there’s still a heavily decent amount of wider reading outside of contact hours. Reading hours can equal the number of contact hours.

(Not a Law student myself, I just know a few.)
Original post by FloralHybrid
This depends heavily on the University. At Cambridge they have a supervision system, in which you can get literally hundreds of pages of reading to do before hand.

Indeed there’s no novels, but there’s still a heavily decent amount of wider reading outside of contact hours. Reading hours can equal the number of contact hours.

(Not a Law student myself, I just know a few.)

Perfectly fair - for clarification to the OP this was about Cardiff.
Perfectly fair - for clarification to the OP this was about Cardiff.

Ahhh. Is Cardiff Law known to involve less reading, or was that just a comparison students who study Lit/History who will have the most amount of reading?
Reply 5
Thanks for letting me know. Do you know what it’s like compared with mechanical engineering and accountancy
Education > Time
Ahhh. Is Cardiff Law known to involve less reading, or was that just a comparison students who study Lit/History who will have the most amount of reading?

Bit of both, really. Cardiff Law does seem to have less reading than I've seen from my friends in other unis, but any Law course I would imagine takes up more time than Literature.
why do you even want to study law?
Original post by AvonRep
Thanks for letting me know. Do you know what it’s like compared with mechanical engineering and accountancy

No idea about Accountancy. Mech Eng, as with any type of Eng for that matter, is very intensive (around 20-30 hours contact, depending on year and university).
Reply 10
No idea about Accountancy. Mech Eng, as with any type of Eng for that matter, is very intensive (around 20-30 hours contact, depending on year and university).

Is there a lot of work outside of contact hours
Original post by AvonRep
Is there a lot of work outside of contact hours

Not a huge amount compared to other STEM subjects, but you'll get given work to test your Maths and there's a lot of group work for design projects that'll take up some time.
Reply 12
Not a huge amount compared to other STEM subjects, but you'll get given work to test your Maths and there's a lot of group work for design projects that'll take up some time.

I didn’t think there would be thanks for telling me

For undergrad, I had 12 hours of lectures and every week or couple of weeks I'd have a 90 mins seminar. 13.5 hours typically. Perhaps it's an aberration of your uni. Most studying will be reading cases and reports in your own time.

If you do the degree properly, reading hours will far exceed contact hours.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending