Are enzymes dissolved in solution in order to function?

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
if not, what is the importance of water being a good solvent to living organsims? many thanks
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
anyone
mansnothot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
water is a solvent so it allows for stuff to be dissolved in it and carried around. however enzymes do not need to be dissolved to function. for an enzyme to function an esc must form.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by mansnothot)
water is a solvent so it allows for stuff to be dissolved in it and carried around. however enzymes do not need to be dissolved to function. for an enzyme to function an esc must form.
thanks boss man so what is the importance of water being a good solvent to living things? when you say carried around are you saying that becuase the blood is made up of a percentage of water? thanks
mansnothot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
thanks boss man so what is the importance of water being a good solvent to living things? when you say carried around are you saying that becuase the blood is made up of a percentage of water? thanks
Water is a solvent which is good as it allows many biological reactions to take place. and by transport i meant it allows oxygen and glucose and other things to be carried around the body in animals and plants.

also there is water in blood and as water is a solvent, ions can dissolve in the water in blood and be carried around the body.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
(Original post by mansnothot)
Water is a solvent which is good as it allows many biological reactions to take place. and by transport i meant it allows oxygen and glucose and other things to be carried around the body in animals and plants.
so it doesnt dissolve things in the blood to allow it to be transported either?
mansnothot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
so it doesnt dissolve things in the blood to allow it to be transported either?
edited my above post
sujana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think enzymes need to be in a solution to work.
However, water is important as we need ions like sodium ion (salt) for our body. We need other ions too. Ions can only be ions when it's molten or dissolved in solution. You may have done ions in chemistry. Anyways, waters are important to transfer products like ions and other dissolved stuff to keep our body fit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.23%
England (109)
33.64%
Belgium (27)
8.33%
Germany (38)
11.73%
Spain (6)
1.85%