Rather annoyed that this man was not arrested Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have just arrived back at Uni - 45 minutes late after my bus was held up by a man who was refusing to get off.

He had purchased a zonal ticket which was not valid from the zone he was attempting to travel from.

I was actually considering paying his fare for him until he began to raise his voice and get verbally aggressive with the driver.

He then proceeded to sit down, saying 'i'm not moving, call the Police'. So the driver went outside and supposedly did.

So the waiting game began. He just sat there silently. 5 other passengers on the bus also waited too - rather annoyingly in the freezing cold.

Eventually the man approached the driver in a calmer manner after 40 minutes had elapsed. He explained his situation - he'd just worked his shift and wanted to get home. It was 2225 at this point, so the driver did have a bit of a duty of care.

Eventually the man, who had no money on him, gave the driver his name and address (alongside a bit of attitude, blaming the driver for delay for not listening to him!!) and just like that we were off.

The driver didn't even bother to call the Police again to cancel their attendance because they were NEVER called initially. Why?! This man attempted to bully the driver and made 5 passengers wait for 45 minutes. I'm sorry but he totally deserved to be arrested and forced to walk the 4 or so miles home.

I know I must sound really bad for saying this but I am just so disappointed that this man was not arrested. Not only was it a bit of an anti-climax after waiting 45 minutes for the Police to arrive, but his attitude and thinking that he could bully the driver totally warranted it.
Avaia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They would have had better things to do even if he had called them :/ most forces are operating below operational budget as it is
Angry Bird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this sht happens a lot in roadman areas lul
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Avaia)
They would have had better things to do even if he had called them :/ most forces are operating below operational budget as it is
I sort of thought that - perhaps it was a civil issue and they wouldn't have came anyway.

What an idiot though - he totally deserved to walk home or sleep in a bus shelter overnight to give himself some time to think about for abuse and attitude he gave!
Avaia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I sort of thought that - perhaps it was a civil issue and they wouldn't have came anyway.

What an idiot though - he totally deserved to walk home or sleep in a bus shelter overnight to give himself some time to think about for abuse and attitude he gave!
Yeah, non-payment of fair is likely to be civil rather than a criminal one, although him shouting would be criminal. Who knows why he was acting how he was :/
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Angry Bird)
I know - underclass pleb with no manners what so ever tries to get on bus full of decent people trying to get home. He couldn't even afford to pay the £3.80 to buy the appropriate ticket. I was about to offer to buy it for him until he got abusive.

He should have had to walk home!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Avaia)
Yeah, non-payment of fair is likely to be civil rather than a criminal one, although him shouting would be criminal. Who knows why he was acting how he was :/
He was just a bully. I hope karma hits him hard!
Anonymous #1
It does make you think a lot about the class society in Britain today. £3.80 is probably nothing to a lot of people, however, a man almost got arrested or had to walk 4 miles in the freezing cold for not having it...

Although with his attitude i'm not surprised!
Huw M Thomas
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should have paid the fare.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what goes around comes around... like the wheels on the bus
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Huw M Thomas)
I honesty was going to. He looked so genuine to begin with. However, quite quickly he began to raise his voice, get verbally aggressive and sat down encouraging the driver to call the police. It became a stand off so quickly - it was awkward - no one on the bus spoke!
Bored123456789
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Angry Bird)
I'm glad I don't live in an area full of these common plebs
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Did all the other passengers get up and support the driver?
Huw M Thomas
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I honesty was going to. He looked so genuine to begin with. However, quite quickly he began to raise his voice, get verbally aggressive and sat down encouraging the driver to call the police. It became a stand off so quickly - it was awkward - no one on the bus spoke!
You should have paid the fare because it was the right thing to do.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Did all the other passengers get up and support the driver?
No! It was so awkward - no one supported him whatsoever. I guess most just assumed the Police were on their way and did nothing. No one said a word - to each other, the driver or the idiot!
Anonymous #1
You should have paid the fare because it was the right thing to do.
It was until he started shouting and trying to intimidate the driver. At that point he got no sympathy from me (or any of the others on board).
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
No! It was so awkward - no one supported him whatsoever. I guess most just assumed the Police were on their way and did nothing. No one said a word - to each other, the driver or the idiot!
I think after 10 or 15 minutes then i cant imagine delayed passengers wouldn't have said something to make him aware you were hostages. I dont think it would have gone on for so long.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
I think after 10 or 15 minutes then i cant imagine delayed passengers wouldn't have said something to make him aware you were hostages. I dont think it would have gone on for so long.
It really did. The driver was standing outside on his phone - he was talking to someone - it mustn't have been the Police.

I saw a Police car just pass after about 35 minutes - no light or anything. Atthat point it clicked (to me anyway) that he hadn't actually called them. I felt so annoyed and was on the verge of calling them myself. I knew though that the next bus would only be 25 minutes away so we'd probably just be put on to that.
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why? He must have known his zones ticket was not valid, to have a special ticket he must have known a bit about the bus networks. Perhaps he even could have walked to a part where he was permitted to use the ticket.
It's not quote assault unless he was properly shouting as to cause a fear of immediate violence but there would be some cause of action as he caused personal damages although minute. Should be imposed with private sanctions, a fine or banned from the service for his actions.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
It really did. The driver was standing outside on his phone - he was talking to someone - it mustn't have been the Police.

I saw a Police car just pass after about 35 minutes - no light or anything. Atthat point it clicked (to me anyway) that he hadn't actually called them. I felt so annoyed and was on the verge of calling them myself. I knew though that the next bus would only be 25 minutes away so we'd probably just be put on to that.
Im not doubting your story, just imagining what I would have done on the situation.

I think what you need to do now is contact the bus company in writing and make a complaint. Tell them it was poorly handles, the passengers were delayed and instead of pretending to call the police, then better training would have had him actually calling them. Alternatively he should have had the foresight to ask him if he couldnt afford to pay.

When ive been involved in events like hat i seem to recall other bus drivers assisting.

the bus driver should have been in contact with the depot and taking instructions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.34%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.04%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.22%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
35.91%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.5%

Watched Threads

Latest