The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ticos
To the OP:

I read in bliss magazine ages ago (lol) that when we're younger we fancy girls as a kind of 'trial run' for guys. I don't know how experienced you are with guys, but if you're not very experienced then maybe your feelings for girls are just waiting to be replaced for feelings for guys? I don't know. Bit of a weird theory, I know.

If I were you, I would just 'go with the flow' (easier said than done, I know). Sooner or later and opportuity will arise with either a guy or a girl in which you will feel comfortable. Only then will you know how your truely feel. If you're not very experienced then your confusion may stem from this.

Your originaly post seemed to say that you like girls but could imagine yourself liking guys. Maybe you're bi?

That's an interesting thing to hear.
Yes I am inexperienced.
Reply 21
Anonymous
I couldn't agree more, but I am...god-fearing.
God won't accept me if I'm gay.:frown:

(at the risk of hijacking): I'm not sure I agree with that. Not many Christians would claim that the bible is a complete guide to life. It is generally accepted that a certain amount of interpretation is required. It is not a step-by-step guide to living the perfect life in the eyes of God, it is merely guidelines. Many Christians choose to interpret it as gay=sinful, however inceasing amounts of Christians are going against this. I personally thing that the church's hate of homosexality comes from old prejudices and fear at the 'abnormal'. Who knows whether or not God will accept you if you're gay? If you believe that strongly in God then you must accept that He is making you feel this way. Why would he let you have feelings for girls if he waned you to deny them?

I suppose al I'm saying is don't fall into the gay=sin trap just because it has been repeated over and over by high-ranking Christians. I don't see why it has to be necessarily true.

(I'm not a Christian btw, but I think this gives me a more objective view on matters such as this)
Reply 22
ticos
(at the risk of hijacking): I'm not sure I agree with that. Not many Christians would claim that the bible is a complete guide to life. It is generally accepted that a certain amount of interpretation is required. It is not a step-by-step guide to living the perfect life in the eyes of God, it is merely guidelines. Many Christians choose to interpret it as gay=sinful, however inceasing amounts of Christians are going against this. I personally thing that the church's hate of homosexality comes from old prejudices and fear at the 'abnormal'. Who knows whether or not God will accept you if you're gay? If you believe that strongly in God then you must accept that He is making you feel this way. Why would he let you have feelings for girls if he waned you to deny them?

I suppose al I'm saying is don't fall into the gay=sin trap just because it has been repeated over and over by high-ranking Christians. I don't see why it has to be necessarily true.

(I'm not a Christian btw, but I think this gives me a more objective view on matters such as this)

You might be right.
Reply 23
i think there must be girls in the clubs everywhere around the UK who secretley check out other sexy looking girls and wonder how it is to either kiss them touch them or do something sexual with them!
Hey Anon #1 , sorry but it looks unlikely that the feelings will ever go away...

Am not openly gay at all... managed to suprress it for years till I finally kissed a girl and wow... feels like all hell's broken loose now...

Anyways, to answer your Questions.

First kiss with a girl?
- 4months ago, when I was 20 .

How old were you when you first realised the attraction? - had my first 'crush' on a chick around 9 , then as I grew older it got intenser, but people found it weird, so had to hide it.... still kind of in denial... thinking like I need to get it out of my system, etc. but so far I just want less and less to do with guys:/

The first person you fancied, were they the first person you kissed? -
Not first person I fancied, but third, and YES I was crushing so badly on her for 3 years, would never have done anything had she not confessed!

Anyway -- I used to get teased a lot too (which affected everything, basically how you said) and, about your problem with intimacy with guys -- had that too... forced myself to accept dates with them... it was awful... this last year i finally found a guy i could get intimate with without feeling repulsed... but then the girl came along and it's hard to explain but it felt so different, so right.
Anyway, I'd say try experiment , get it out of your system (if you can), unless you are happy with living this way! But seeing you've had to post this on a forum it doesnt look like something you can truly ignore :s-smilie: good luckk..
Reply 25
I'm off to bed now, but good luck with sorting things out. I will try and check back on the thread tomorrw. If you're only 18 (same age as me :smile: ) then I think there's no need to worry about feeling confused at this stage in life. Plenty more years to work out how you feel!

I'm a great believer in "it will all work out in the end". This philosophy has always proven to be true for me, and I'm sure it will for you too.
Reply 26
Reply 27
Anonymous
Hey Anon #1 , sorry but it looks unlikely that the feelings will ever go away...

Am not openly gay at all... managed to suprress it for years till I finally kissed a girl and wow... feels like all hell's broken loose now...

Anyways, to answer your Questions.

First kiss with a girl? - 4months ago, when I was 20 .

How old were you when you first realised the attraction? - had my first 'crush' on a chick around 9 , then as I grew older it got intenser, but people found it weird, so had to hide it.... still kind of in denial... thinking like I need to get it out of my system, etc. but so far I just want less and less to do with guys:/

The first person you fancied, were they the first person you kissed? -
Not first person I fancied, but third, and YES I was crushing so badly on her for 3 years, would never have done anything had she not confessed!

Anyway -- I used to get teased a lot too (which affected everything, basically how you said) and, about your problem with intimacy with guys -- had that too... forced myself to accept dates with them... it was awful... this last year i finally found a guy i could get intimate with without feeling repulsed... but then the girl came along and it's hard to explain but it felt so different, so right.
Anyway, I'd say try experiment , get it out of your system (if you can), unless you are happy with living this way! But seeing you've had to post this on a forum it doesnt look like something you can truly ignore :s-smilie: good luckk..

Wish I knew your username so that I could pm you if I needed to.
Im willing to de-anon for it.
Anonymous
Wish I knew your username so that I could pm you if I needed to.
Im willing to de-anon for it.

if you both pm me then i can tell each of you the other persons username. that way nobody has to make it public.
ok anon3, if you message me i could give anon1 your username. if you don't want me to though just post here or message to say that you don't want anyone to know who you are - just so she's not waiting.
Reply 30
Aww thanks :hugs: xoxox
Ok pm death.drop anon #1 , and I will too , I'm not a regular poster , but you can PM me if you ever need to :smile:
With respect to the 'Christian debate' just to clear things up for ticos and death.drop; there are (broadly speaking) three viewpoints within Christianity: there are those who believe homosexual feelings and practices alike are permissible; there are those who believe homosexual feelings are permissible but practices are not; and there are those who believe neither homosexual feelings nor practices are permissible (and the only people I know of like that are the WBC, so we won't go there).

I didn't really want to get into this, because (after a long time debating within myself what I do/don't believe) I don't take a my-way-or-the-high-way approach to Christianity. If someone believes something different, I don't assume they're wrong: they might be, or it might be that I'm wrong instead.. so I don't like to bulldoze people with my interpretations of the Bible, because I might actually be battering a correct viewpoint. With me so far?

But to explain the other viewpoint to the one you're both giving: the reason some Christians believe the Bible doesn't condemn homosexual feeling, but does condemn homosexual relations is simple: people are not condemned for having 'sinful thoughts' in the Bible. Yes, if you didn't have them, it would make things a lot easier - but it's not a crime against God. Sinful thoughts are part of a person's inherent nature (which is where the whole "God made you that way" argument - God made people in his likeness, and then sin entered, so they are no longer infallible, and do contain aspects of which God is thought not to approve) - and Christianity is seen (within this viewpoint) as a struggle between the sinful thoughts you may have, and the sinful acts you know you must not embark upon.

I'm not throwing this out there to stir up a religious debate; I just think that the OP is having a confusing enough time of it at the moment and (with all due respect) I think a couple of people on this thread were, perhaps, misrepresenting Christian beliefs about homosexuality. That's not to say the OP shouldn't take a different view (such as one of yours) - as I said earlier, I'm not a fan of battering other opinions, because for all I know they might be right. I just wanted to make sure the OP had a clearer picture of the spectrum of Christian belief on this issue, because if her beliefs are important to her, radically changing them/throwing them by the wayside is not necessarily going to make her any happier.

Again - good luck figuring out what you want, OP. :smile:
*ellen marine*
With respect to the 'Christian debate' just to clear things up for ticos and death.drop; there are (broadly speaking) three viewpoints within Christianity: there are those who believe homosexual feelings and practices alike are permissible; there are those who believe homosexual feelings are permissible but practices are not; and there are those who believe neither homosexual feelings nor practices are permissible (and the only people I know of like that are the WBC, so we won't go there).

I didn't really want to get into this, because (after a long time debating within myself what I do/don't believe) I don't take a my-way-or-the-high-way approach to Christianity. If someone believes something different, I don't assume they're wrong: they might be, or it might be that I'm wrong instead.. so I don't like to bulldoze people with my interpretations of the Bible, because I might actually be battering a correct viewpoint. With me so far?

But to explain the other viewpoint to the one you're both giving: the reason some Christians believe the Bible doesn't condemn homosexual feeling, but does condemn homosexual relations is simple: people are not condemned for having 'sinful thoughts' in the Bible. Yes, if you didn't have them, it would make things a lot easier - but it's not a crime against God. Sinful thoughts are part of a person's inherent nature (which is where the whole "God made you that way" argument - God made people in his likeness, and then sin entered, so they are no longer infallible, and do contain aspects of which God is thought not to approve) - and Christianity is seen (within this viewpoint) as a struggle between the sinful thoughts you may have, and the sinful acts you know you must not embark upon.

I'm not throwing this out there to stir up a religious debate; I just think that the OP is having a confusing enough time of it at the moment and (with all due respect) I think a couple of people on this thread were, perhaps, misrepresenting Christian beliefs about homosexuality. That's not to say the OP shouldn't take a different view (such as one of yours) - as I said earlier, I'm not a fan of battering other opinions, because for all I know they might be right. I just wanted to make sure the OP had a clearer picture of the spectrum of Christian belief on this issue, because if her beliefs are important to her, radically changing them/throwing them by the wayside is not necessarily going to make her any happier.

Again - good luck figuring out what you want, OP. :smile:

i do know the different views of homosexuality in Christianity - when i was younger i really evaluated all the religions and what i thought was good and bad before i finally decided on atheism :p:

i was just saying what i personally think Christianity is about and my own views on homosexuality.
and btw, bear in mind that the bible was written by people. people with their own values and agenda. it was also written in a very different time and generally, people read into it whatever they want to.

she knows what she believes more than any of us.
Whether you are openly gay and have been for some time, or you just know it I would like to know, when did you have your first kiss?
About 2 years ago, with my still-now girlfriend.
How old were you? 15.
How old were you when you first realised the attraction? 14? I think it came on gradually as she was my best friend.
The first person you fancied, were they the first person you kissed?
Probably. Though I've crushed as we all did. Defintely my first relationship; I've been in that same relationship now for over 2 years, with my best-friend turned girlfriend :redface: :smile:

Sexuality is something I'm very comfortable with now- something I find very fluid. I'd be really happy to chat to you over PM if you wanted, but unfortunately I can't de-anon on here. If there's some way of getting my username to you, please let me know.
death.drop
i do know the different views of homosexuality in Christianity - when i was younger i really evaluated all the religions and what i thought was good and bad before i finally decided on atheism :p:

i was just saying what i personally think Christianity is about and my own views on homosexuality.
and btw, bear in mind that the bible was written by people. people with their own values and agenda. it was also written in a very different time and generally, people read into it whatever they want to.

she knows what she believes more than any of us.

I quite agree - I'm not a believer in sola scriptura. :smile:

And I think I felt the need to respond because I'm not sure the OP does know what she believes - she seemed very willing to accept other suggestions.. which in turn implies she may not be secure in her own opinions. So I just wanted to make sure she heard the other point of view clearly, as I think a drastic change/rejection of her religious lifestyle could cause more harm than good at the moment. Perhaps I got her wrong, I'm not sure - but at least this way she has a picture (albeit a general one) of the belief spectrum to work from.

Nice talking to you, anyway. :smile:
Reply 36
well i kinda knew at about 14 or so but now looking back at it i have always been more attracted to girls than guys from a very young age, sort of 8 or so but it never made sence to me until i was 134, at the moment i consider myself as gay, but not openly out, which im not happy about, cos i want to be openly out.
Reply 37
*sorry i mean 14, my delete button is playing up :frown:
Reply 38
rach12
well i kinda knew at about 14 or so but now looking back at it i have always been more attracted to girls than guys from a very young age, sort of 8 or so but it never made sence to me until i was 14, at the moment i consider myself as gay, but not openly out, which im not happy about, cos i want to be openly out.

Okay.
Reply 39
rach12
well i kinda knew at about 14 or so but now looking back at it i have always been more attracted to girls than guys from a very young age, sort of 8 or so but it never made sence to me until i was 14, at the moment i consider myself as gay, but not openly out, which im not happy about, cos i want to be openly out.

Okay. Thanks.

Latest

Trending

Trending