Why do we privilege some religions and not others?

Watch
Iridocyclitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Criticise or mock some religions/their believers and it is absolutely fine: Mormons, Scientologists, etc.

Criticise or mock other religions/their believers and all hell breaks loose and it is hatred and akin to racism.

The same goes for faith schools being accepted for some religions but not others. The Lords Spiritual are another example. Some things can be explained as quirks of history, others cannot.

No religion is objectively better than another. I therefore don't understand why we privilege some religions and not others. It's bizarre to me that criticising or mocking x religion/its believers is hatred and scorned upon by society, yet criticising or mocking y religion/its believers does not bat an eyelid and is actively encouraged (through documentaries or comedy sketches).

My opinion is we should treat all religions with a baseline level of tolerance and treat them all equally in terms of scrutiny, benefits, etc.

What are your views?
del1rious
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don’t have an answer but this is an extremely interesting topic of debate which I have never before considered, thank you. I look forward to seeing people’s views on this!
del1rious
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
And btw I agree with the last point you made completely
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Iridocyclitis)
Criticise or mock some religions/their believers and it is absolutely fine: Mormons, Scientologists, etc.

Criticise or mock other religions/their believers and all hell breaks loose and it is hatred and akin to racism.

The same goes for faith schools being accepted for some religions but not others. The Lords Spiritual are another example. Some things can be explained as quirks of history, others cannot.

No religion is objectively better than another. I therefore don't understand why we privilege some religions and not others. It's bizarre to me that criticising or mocking x religion/its believers is hatred and scorned upon by society, yet criticising or mocking y religion/its believers does not bat an eyelid and is actively encouraged (through documentaries or comedy sketches).

My opinion is we should treat all religions with a baseline level of tolerance and treat them all equally in terms of scrutiny, benefits, etc.

What are your views?
It's the immigrant factor. People treat criticism of Islam (there, I said it) as an extension of xenophobia. However, other "foreign" religions don't have the same severe problems with terrorism, crime and sociopolitical conflict, so they haven't developed an equal level of stigma to which people will attach an associated "phobia" or bigotry.

But I agree with you. Religions should all be treated equally. Islam (et al) is a religion just like Mormonism, it is equally wrong about life and the universe, equally or even more deserving of criticism, and we should be free to mock both if we so choose.

Sadly, to many, Islam will always be associated with brown people, so an attack on Islam will be seen as an attack on them.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are your views?
Religions should be tolerated, but be conferred no rights of privileges whatever, and mockery of irrational beliefs should be compulsory (and that obviously includes all religions). No religion should be, or is, protected from criticism or mockery.

That the adherents of Islam have a reputation for perpetrating violent responses to criticism and mockery is clear evidence of the true nature of that particular ideology.

Faith schools, of all religions, should be illegal, and religious indoctrination of children should be banned, whether inside or outside schools or religious institutions.

Religious education should cover all superstitious belief, and man's predisposition to believe such tosh, and limited to one hour a week after the age of about fourteen.
Jimbo Jones
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
it's all about race
islam is predominantly brown, and mormons/scientologists are predominantly white

think about it: if islam, in the manner it's practiced, was a predominantly white religion, do you think people would put up with all its ideological garbage? it's all just a culture of trying to not seem or sound "racist". that's the explanation you're looking for. it's an appeal to our "white = bad" culture. if you told somebody that you were somebody that beats their wife (or has multiple wives, even), thinks gays should be put in jail/stoned, thinks jews are bad, etc, nobody would care if you were a muslim and held those beliefs, but if you were white and non-muslim? oh boy.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is very interesting that religions can be given a position where judgement is despised. All beliefs should face the same level of disbelief and mockery, as arguments using scientific principles easily make all religions redundant.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it has something to do with the amount of people the religion represents so you're mocking something which a significant potion of the world adheres to so you're offending a larger group of people and so it gets condemned by a larger group of people.

I don't think any religion is privileged but if you mocked Christianity in America vs Christianity in Indonesia you'd get a very different public response. Likewise if you mocked Islam in Pakistan vs Islam in the UK.
sertyuer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Long story short people are dumb.
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
mockery of irrational beliefs should be compulsory (and that obviously includes all religions).
I would have said that given the size of the universe the belief in some form of "higher being" is perfectly rational. Even some of the greatest minds of today think we might just be a simulation (a direct creation of a higher being).

Sure, some of the stories they're wrapped in are obviously a bit questionable, but stories always get inflated over time.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dheorl)
I would have said that given the size of the universe the belief in some form of "higher being" is perfectly rational.
'Rational' means being based on evidence and reason, rather than emotion. There is no evidence in favour of higher beings - just belief.
Imzy010
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i feel that questioning a religion reasonably with actual logical questions does no harm but to ridicule someone else's beliefs i think is just not right. otherwise, then you just begin not to curiously criticise and disagree but to become hateful towards the religion and its followers. we should just respect all religions, doesnt mean you have to agree with them and not question its values but at the end of the day it is someone's belief. its like how you shouldn't make fun of someone else's opinions because its just wrong and rude and everyone has the right to believe in what they want and have their own opinions. just need to be more tolerant and respectful not necessarily accepting. (meaning criticism+questioning is okay but you shouldn't MOCK their beliefs- anyone's beliefs- because at the end of the day its just a personal opinion). you can easily make a point and go against something without mocking it harshly and rudely but with your own opinion and logic, after all we are all humane, smart, civil HUMAN beings at the end of the day and not savage animals who MUST prove who is right and wrong to feel self-satisfied...
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Imzy010)
we should just respect all religions,

just need to be more tolerant and respectful not necessarily accepting.
Just to be clear, tolerant means accepting.

Anyway, are you telling me that you would respect a religion (and there have been many) that uses child sacrifice in an effort to ensure that the crops grow? Would you tolerate the practise of such a religion near where you live? I wouldn't.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because people associate Islam with brown people and brown people with victims.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wilfred Little)
Because people associate Islam with brown people and brown people with victims.
Eh?
Dan Deplorable
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's ok to insult Christianity and Judaism because they are both seen as "white" religions, and the cuckold left thinks that it's perfectly acceptable to be prejudiced against white people.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Eh?
Basically what Jimbo Jones just said.
adamantacademic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're suggesting Islam is being privileged with special treatment, I beg to differ!
Islam doesn't get special treatment, we're not soft on Islam, the opposite is actually true: We are relentlessly negative about and are full of stereotype towards Islam and Muslims. We can now say things about Islam and Muslims that you could never say about any other faith or ethnic minority group, for example the Express a couple of years back headlined their paper with 'Muslim plot to kill the Pope', can you imagine a headline with 'Jewish plot to kill the Pope' if six people had been arrested and we weren't even sure whether they were guilty or even muslims, in fact all six were released without charge on the next monday and the Express put out a tiny paragraph on page 9 saying they were not guilty even though they lead out on saturday morning with 'Muslim plot' i.e all 3 million Muslims of the Uk were preparing to murder the Pope. Moreover media outlets now allow people like Mr Green to talk about Islam, I mean if you go on the 'Christian Voice' website he refers to Islam as a 'counterfeit religion', a 'satanic faith' and says 'muslims can only enter heaven if they become jihadists', I can't imagine the BBC giving say Anjem Choudary 2 minutes to rant about Judaism and rant about how Britain is soft on the Jews. I mean if you also think the continent is becoming soft on Islam consider Sweden, where a party which never did well succeeded on an anti-islamic platform, also Switzerland where Minarets have been banned, France where burqas have been banned and even Belgium where the parliament spent 4 months debating on the face veil, that's their priorities. This isn't a security issue, it's a cultural one for society to function it seems we need a scapegoat quite clearly you've embedded this in your thread using Islam.

People have always been afraid of strangers in their midst, you go back a hundred years and look at the Evening Standard headline about the smells which the foreign Jews bring to London, look at the treatment of the Irish in 1780s, look at black immigrants when they came. There's always going to be an other, and today Muslims make up a very large minority and are viewed with fearful eyes, subjugated to the role of scapegoat.
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Rational' means being based on evidence and reason, rather than emotion. There is no evidence in favour of higher beings - just belief.
Rational is based on reason or logic, not evidence. Due to the number of worlds in the universe, and potentially the number of universes in the multiverse, it's perfectly logical to expect a species has reached the point where it could create or simulate another, either biologically or electronically.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What are your views?
why do people ask silly questions that most people know the answer to from general knowldege unless they are trolling for a reaction to add entertainment to thier boring lives

what are your views ?

generally religions that are indigenous to the area or not a minority/victims, people feel more comfortable mocking, like how its fine to tell jokes about people from yorkshire but not about people from bangladesh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads