The Student Room Group

urgent please help

Do the universities you’re applying look at the subjects your school offers? I’m applying for software engineering and computing science is not a required subject so i looked more into it and it turns out the reason is because it’s not widely offered in schools across scotland, at least that is what I’ve heard. The only essential subject is maths and for some it’s another science which i’m doing.

My school offers computing science but I never took it because I only just recently decided I was wanting to do software engineering, so will the uni’s look at it and not give me an offer because they see that I could have taken it. I am so worried. I have mentioned in my personal statement that I have done programming in my own time and I’ve went to the computing science department in my school and asked for course notes - they gave me access to VB Express 2010 which is a coding application, and i’ve used code academy and khan academy. Will this be enough??
Original post by Consectatrix
Do the universities you’re applying look at the subjects your school offers? I’m applying for software engineering and computing science is not a required subject so i looked more into it and it turns out the reason is because it’s not widely offered in schools across scotland, at least that is what I’ve heard. The only essential subject is maths and for some it’s another science which i’m doing.

My school offers computing science but I never took it because I only just recently decided I was wanting to do software engineering, so will the uni’s look at it and not give me an offer because they see that I could have taken it. I am so worried. I have mentioned in my personal statement that I have done programming in my own time and I’ve went to the computing science department in my school and asked for course notes - they gave me access to VB Express 2010 which is a coding application, and i’ve used code academy and khan academy. Will this be enough??

If the university dont list it as essential, then I wouldnt worry too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending