The Student Room Group

Nervous about placement

Hi,
I'm due to start placement in January and I am excited, but I'm also very nervous. I'm a first year childrens student nurse. I'm mainly scared of geting things wrong, not getting along with my mentor and just generally stuggling with balancing placement, uni work, travel, part time job and making sure I stay healthy and get enough sleep.
If anyone has any advice on how to cope with all this on placement, and how to remain positive more so than kust focusing on my nerves that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!
Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x
Hi,
I'm due to start placement in January and I am excited, but I'm also very nervous. I'm a first year childrens student nurse. I'm mainly scared of geting things wrong, not getting along with my mentor and just generally stuggling with balancing placement, uni work, travel, part time job and making sure I stay healthy and get enough sleep.
If anyone has any advice on how to cope with all this on placement, and how to remain positive more so than kust focusing on my nerves that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!

Honestly, these are all likely problems that you will experience over the course of your degree and it's a good thing that you've identified these already and are aware of them.

Firstly, everyone gets things wrong and makes mistakes at some point. You will never ever know everything. The key thing is to try and think things through systematically even when you are rushed. This is very much a skill you will develop throughout your training and into your career. Focusing on the basic principles of nursing care such as consent, dignity and empathy will always help you to do the right thing.

Mentors are just like anyone else, there will always be ones you get along with better than others. You may even get into a situation where you need to contact the university because your personalities are so incompatible - this is normal and happens to a lot of people. Just try to focus on maximising your learning and being professional. Sometimes you may need to adapt your communication. You can also try discussing your progress regularly with your mentor, and seek to clarify any misunderstandings or difficulties.

Shift work will always have a big impact on your lifestyle. At times, it will feel like all you do is work. Really looking at your time management and your use of your free time is important to try and maintain as much of a balance as possible. It's so important that you have time for self-care and relaxing, and sometimes something has to give. Accepting that you aren't a superhuman who will be constantly arriving to work refreshed and ready to start the day, with a beautiful homemade lunch, going home to a spotless house after hours at the gym, is something that is very important when you have such a demanding career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending