The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How much will some1 earn with a Mathematics and Physics's degree lol
Reply 41
also iamsucha****....a lot of my mates got the same as me, and steve34, and his mates...it didnt give them in the question but implied it, and hence there is probably a mark for deduction of limits...so you will prolly have got all marks bar 1.
Reply 42
north_western_manc
yeah i also got -0.5 although im a tad peeved coz it said what the decrease was and i put -0.5, whihc would mean an increase of 0.5 ARG

It probably depends what form you gave it in, I assume they would accept dP/dt = -1/2 but they might be less kind if you said a decrease of -1/2.
Reply 43
Android565
I dont think they liked the fact I had a couple of poor AS economics modules, hence the B. The AAA12 is pretty standard, some get AAA11 instead.

What did you get the offer from? (I'll be reading Natsci at selwyn if I meet the offer:biggrin: )

And sorry to everyone else, I wont spam the thread anymore:wink:
Reply 44
but like seriosuly that proof question...p had to be prime...so yeah you will have got an odd result with p=6
Any1 here go 2 a grammar or private school?
Reply 46
*raises hand*
Apparently MEI is popular with them thats y I'm wondering
Reply 48
iamsuchatwat
Any1 here go 2 a grammar or private school?

Nope, in fact I go to a very dodgy sixth form.
Reply 49
mm..mei apparantly stands for Mathematice in Engineering and Industry...although im not sure what makes it more for engineering and industry than a normal exam?
Reply 50
Steve_34
What did you get the offer from? (I'll be reading Natsci at selwyn if I meet the offer:biggrin: )

And sorry to everyone else, I wont spam the thread anymore:wink:

Jesus. (its on the first page of the offer's thread :P)

At least I have a decent gap between my first and second offer's, I can afford to miss at least the B12 part and still get my second choice.

Im guessing your offer is a bit lower?

And I'm at a bog standard comprehensive.
I'm prepared 2 concede I got the answer 2 the integral wrong. Hopefully I've just missed 1 or 2 marks. Rly the whole aim is to come out with an A so we'll see
Reply 52
it really is the only aim, and hopefully you built up a safety net with AS exams for getting say a B in the module is inconcequential
Its incomprehencible that I get a B, I finished so early, checked it, guess that question I didn't read
Reply 54
AAA in maths, physics and further maths
Reply 55
the problem with finishing a 90min exam so early is that you can easily skim read and miss parts of the question out...that proof one for example, as ive said before, p could only take PRIME number value <11 so when you stick in 6 and get 63, not a prime number-its because its not meant to be part of the series...and with part ii) you were supposed to realise that when p=11, it produces 2048-1=2047 divisible by 23 and 89 (from the random multiplication it asked you to do) or whatever and hence not prime.
Reply 56
Steve_34
AAA in maths, physics and further maths

I got the impression that you needed a second science for NatSci ?
Ye I got part 2, i remember taking logs

I can't remember the question for part 1, if u can, remind me
Reply 58
show that for prime numbers, p, up to 11, that (2^p - 1) is prime...basically proof by exhaustion.
Ah damn... for the part two of the proof I firstly calculated 23 x 89 (as the question asked), but then I put 89 into the formula and got out a long number that ended in 6. Hence I concluded that 2^p - 1 doesn't always produce primes (where p is a prime), because obviously a number ending in a 6 isn't prime.

89 is a prime number, hence should this be an acceptable dis-proof/answer? I didn't take logs or anything?

I thought the paper was very nice though, easy enough. After talking to people after the exam, I think I did better than most. Hence hopefully I'll get an A in it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending