Tutor at Emmanuel college admits to checking job applicants' Facebook profiles Watch

The Dark Side
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how do I change my profile so it becomes private? I am not sure whether it is private or not
MaryMoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wonder if he tried looking at my Facebook, I'm so glad I have really high privacy settings!!
Lizsco3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Greatleysteg)
Well there's ************ (censored?) which was set up by UCAS/Affiliates of UCAS for applicants to discuss stuff and meet each other (it's still in its infancy, nowhere near as good as TSR) and there were conspiracy theories there, too, where we thought the interviewers might have moles searching for the list of applicants' profiles... Facebook, MySpace (which would be more revealing as it's text-based, not app-based), Yougo and all sorts..
Lol yeah don't you just love the conspiracy theories. Looks like they came true in this case though...:rolleyes:
Greatleysteg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tom)
Reading it again, Zaranna's got a point through: "college position" plus reference to friends int he city makes it pretty clear he's talking about applicants for a staff post, not students in the admissions cycle.
I agree with Zaranna, Yes, but why did the spokesperson refer to admissions procedures then, as opposed to recruitment procedures? The 'throwaway line' must have had relevance to the student applicants, not least because they are the ones most likely to have Facebook profiles, as opposed to would-be academic staff.
Ad-Alta
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
If people are stupid enough to post potentially dodgy photos/offensive comments on their Facebook *and* have their profiles set to public, then they deserve everything that's coming to them! The Internet is a public domain, and with all the millions of privacy settings FB has introduced recently, there's no excuse for people complaining if individuals aside from their friends are looking at their profile, then using it to formulate an opinion of them!

I'm not surprised that this is happened as there's a news article on the web also about some intern in the US who called in 'sick', but posted up drunken photos on his FB, which his employee saw. He was subsequently fired. Personally I hate social networking sites as I think they're shallow and ridiculous - I know so many people who have hundreds and hundreds of 'friends' and don't even know half of them more than on an acquaintance level.

Also how blase some people are about their personal details - if you do have an 'open' profile, you should not have your telephone number, address etc in the contact section shown. It seems as if so many young people do not realise the power of even a small bit of information - just a name can be used to find out a lot more. I apologise if this sounds paranoid, but websites like 192.com will give you electoral records for a very small fee!

I'm not even very happy giving my real name out on the Internet - something which Facebook relies upon. You have to remember that anything you post in a 'public area' on the Internet could potentially be accessed by anyone, unless you take action to prevent it.
Ad-Alta
Report 10 years ago
Well there's ************ (censored?) which was set up by UCAS/Affiliates of UCAS for applicants to discuss stuff and meet each other (it's still in its infancy, nowhere near as good as TSR) and there were conspiracy theories there, too, where we thought the interviewers might have moles searching for the list of applicants' profiles... Facebook, MySpace (which would be more revealing as it's text-based, not app-based), Yougo and all sorts..
Do you mean ***********? (replaces dashes with spaces/dots) The absolute most ugliest website I have ever set eyes on, with a horrible interface.
Ad-Alta
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Darkside90)
how do I change my profile so it becomes private? I am not sure whether it is private or not
Go to the Privacy link at the top of your homepage - you can alter all your settings from there.
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So easy to lie on facebook though... Just glam yourself up
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ad-Alta)
Do you mean ***********? (replaces dashes with spaces/dots) The absolute most ugliest website I have ever set eyes on, with a horrible interface.
ha ha ha, yes I do mean said URL, although I think maybe you shouldn't have posted it for a reason (I didn't try and avoid the filter).. maybe they're enemies? *loves scandal*

It IS an awful interface.. and just a rubbish forum, it'll never catch on.
Zaranna
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I agree with Zaranna, Yes, but why did the spokesperson refer to admissions procedures then, as opposed to recruitment procedures? The 'throwaway line' must have had relevance to the student applicants, not least because they are the ones most likely to have Facebook profiles, as opposed to would-be academic staff.

Having some work experience of journalism, I expect that the journalists rang the college admissions office or the central admissions office for a media quote, and that was the standard quote they gave, not knowing what the authors of the article were referring to.
Tom
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd call that website fugly, but look what's happened to TSR We're no better off.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Our senior tutor also joined Facebook last year, presumably to spy on us. We all responded by setting our privacy settings to block "Cambridge Faculty" and "Cambridge Staff".

If you know how to use Facebook properly you can still put information on there but set your privacy settings so only certain people get to see it. For example when people have their email addresses and phone numbers on there (set so only friends can see) it's a great help when I'm desperate to talk to them for whatever reason. I think it's a bit silly though when people have their full home addresses up... though if you know someone's name and college, you essentially know their (term-time) address anyway! I also have mine set so that anybody from the Cambridge network can see more than anybody from my local or school networks (eg. e-mail address), as I consider the Cambridge network more "trustworthy" as you need a cam.ac.uk e-mail address to join (and, besides, if they're desperate for my email they can look me up on the Hermes directory).
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
applicants for a college position
Ok so people have actually got to this before me but it's not talking about undergrad applications...
The Dark Side
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ad-Alta)
Go to the Privacy link at the top of your homepage - you can alter all your settings from there.
Thank you
Greatleysteg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Zaranna)
Having some work experience of journalism, I expect that the journalists rang the college admissions office or the central admissions office for a media quote, and that was the standard quote they gave, not knowing what the authors of the article were referring to.
I have work experience of journalism too, and I know that's how they operate.
But knowing Cambridge, that won't have been the case. With articles where the details are of mere triviality, yes, but articles of this nature would have required 'right of reply', in which case Cambridge would have been shown the piece.
Barnes clearly refused to reply, fair enough. But I doubt that 'standard quote' would have been used, in order to alleviate mistaken reference to undergraduate admissions.
billybob13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I saw this in the paper today and was relieved that my privacy settings are such that only my friends and people at my school can see my page, not that there was anything on there that Cambridge would have disapproved of anyway. But I know someone who applied to Cambridge whose profile is completely public so the admissions tutor could well look at his page if they wanted to.

I have since realised that the articles was not referring to undergraduate admissions, but it is still possible that admissions tutors do look. I know if I were an admissions tutor I would be tempted... I think the moral of the story here is to make sure you have sufficient privacy setting.
Zhen Lin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would also like to note that Camdon admitted to looking around Facebook in another thread... so news like this is only going to be more frequent in the future.
Lizsco3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I reckon they just want to know what all the fuss about facebook is...
Zaranna
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I have work experience of journalism too, and I know that's how they operate.
But knowing Cambridge, that won't have been the case. With articles where the details are of mere triviality, yes, but articles of this nature would have required 'right of reply', in which case Cambridge would have been shown the piece.
Barnes clearly refused to reply, fair enough. But I doubt that 'standard quote' would have been used, in order to alleviate mistaken reference to undergraduate admissions.

I honestly don't think this would have got right of reply. It looks more like a disgruntled former student trying to make a name in journalism to me, or something similar (I know several people who have tried to do similar things )

As someone who was repeatedly fed myths about Cambridge and how I shouldn't apply at my comprehensive school, this kind of thing just makes me really angry. An article like this, when Barnes was almost certainly not referring to the undergrad applications process at all, just undoes in a minute all the good work that lots of people do (including central admissions, the colleges, target schools, and individuals all over the university, including lots of students on this forum) to reassure applicants and dispel myths about the process and what Cambridge is like.

Yes, lots of *employers* do now routinely look on the internet when hiring (which is why anyone who thinks they don't, that it won't matter, or that they have any right to privacy on the internet is a fool) but honestly, do you think academics and admissions tutors have the time to spend looking up all the applicants on facebook? Or that they would find anything useful out by doing so?
FadeToBlackout
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, Cambridge has had Faceboon for nearly 4 years now, if not longer. It wouldn't really surprise me to hear that staff were involved. Of course, back when I were a Fresher, applicants wouldn't have been able to have profiles- nor anyone at any other university outside Oxbridge. That changed, though... it is amusing when it first went wider to the academy then to anyone; we'd had it for years already!

I'm tempted to message the Fellow and ask if he's refering to staff or applicants, to clear this one up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.48%
No (615)
72.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed