is this possible in clearing? Watch

woofums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hi,

i was just wondering, if you dont get the required grades to go to your first and second choice unis, are you allowed to do a different course through clearing.

so say the first choice requires ABB
second choice requires BBB.

say you get BCC and are not accepted by them, are you allowed to see if you can get into a whole new course via clearing. i.e you apply for English but dont get in so in clearing apply for history?

just wondering

thanks
vi_26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ye i think you can
WaW™
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes you can think about all the poor medics who get rejected...they HAVE to do something else if they want to go to uni. However the uni will raise eyebrows if say you wanna go from Zoology to Law.....a big change so they'll ask questions.
100%_juice
Report 11 years ago
Except that you're meant to (I think) send your application to whatever course at whatever uni you're trying to get into through clearing, so in your example, you'd be applying for History with a personal statement aimed at English. Still possible but something to be aware of.
woofums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
how different is law from social work? i spose quite different...
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unis know people will change their mind. So they won't care too much about your PS. It would be a good idea to write a new one if you're changing the course you're applying to and send them that. But they'll base things more on discussions with you (over the phone and face to face).
dogsbody
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes you can. Thats the reason clearing was set up!
jonnythemoose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 100%_juice)
Except that you're meant to (I think) send your application to whatever course at whatever uni you're trying to get into through clearing, so in your example, you'd be applying for History with a personal statement aimed at English. Still possible but something to be aware of.
Yeah - and I suppose the 'better' the uni, the more this is an important factor. The top unis seek committed students - and unless it's something like Medicine, where it's often possible to not get a place ANYWHERE - they might be wondering why you didn't apply for your chosen subject in the first place. But I suppose if they're down a similar track, it wouldn't be particularly detrimental.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (54)
98.18%
No (1)
1.82%

Watched Threads