The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did this scheme, its the main reason I applied to Cambridge. OP why didn’t you chose their Hist Pol course, was it not an option?
Original post by GovernmentEarner
I did this scheme, its the main reason I applied to Cambridge. OP why didn’t you chose their Hist Pol course, was it not an option?

What was it like and what did you do there?
Original post by RedGiant

I went to like 2 supervisions, 2 classes and 1 lecture. At the time I didn’t know whether to apply for 3 different subjects so the student I shadowed was really nice and arranged with their friends for me to go to all 3. There was also some extra events we all did. It basically just made me realise I really liked the supervision system and Cambridge itself, I come from a crappy comp and no-one is very interesting but it was the complete opposite there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RedGiant

Original post by GovernmentEarner
I went to like 2 supervisions, 2 classes and 1 lecture. At the time I didn’t know whether to apply for 3 different subjects so the student I shadowed was really nice and arranged with their friends for me to go to all 3. There was also some extra events we all did. It basically just made me realise I really liked the supervision system and Cambridge itself, I come from a crappy comp and no-one is very interesting but it was the complete opposite there.

Also, I'm sure you get to experience how students live at their college, too.
Many mentors give up their room for their shadow to live while they're there or share their bed room.
Hope you enjoyed and liked that bit, too.
I applied for MML as my first choice. Wishing I get in but everyone in my family apart from my mum went to uni. I do come from a school with not many oxbridge applicants and I live in a pretty poor area. I hope I get a place.
I applied for engineering as first choice and chemical engineering second choice, none of my family have went to university so fingers crossed!! The wait is killing me ahaha
I’ve applied for HSPS: Politics and International Relations as a first choice and History as my second. I’m really nervous but at least we don’t have to wait too long to find out if we have a place.
Reply 8
When do we find out if we get a place?
Original post by Maiaboop
When do we find out if we get a place?

I think on the 15th of December
I don't know if this is the right place, but I thought this is probably the best fit.

Has anyone applied to the shadowing scheme? If so, what subjects and dates did you select? Do you think you might have a place (even though the only thing you give is your grades)? Less than a week until we find out.

I applied back in early October, for NatSci as my first choice with PBS as my second. I put that I could attend any of the three possible dates. I personally hope I get the date in February, as it would restrict all of my days off to that one week (I go abroad with school from the 5th-7th Feb).

I hope I have a place. My gut is telling me that I might, but my 2A*s might make them turn me down. I also told someone I know about it (I went on a trip to Cambridge with them a while back) and they've applied with similar GCSEs to mine (with a B instead of a C and no D grade). Really hope they get a place too. I won't be bitter if they get one and I don't- they deserve a place.

I believe everyone finds out (or at least I do) on the 15th? I have three mock exams on that day (about 5 hours worth of exams) so it'll make the day even more stressful.

How are you feeling about it all?
I hope you get on it! I shadowed a HSPS student in January, and it was incredibly useful in helping me decide to apply for PBS, for which I now have an interview at Medwards. Best of luck, it’s a wonderful experience.
I applied for MML as my first choice. Wishing I get in but everyone in my family apart from my mum went to uni. I do come from a school with not many oxbridge applicants and I live in a pretty poor area.

EDIT:
Oh I also only got 2A* but where I live that's like the best so here's hoping.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by bookloverlolly
I don't know if this is the right place, but I thought this is probably the best fit.

Has anyone applied to the shadowing scheme? If so, what subjects and dates did you select? Do you think you might have a place (even though the only thing you give is your grades)? Less than a week until we find out.

I applied back in early October, for NatSci as my first choice with PBS as my second. I put that I could attend any of the three possible dates. I personally hope I get the date in February, as it would restrict all of my days off to that one week (I go abroad with school from the 5th-7th Feb).

I hope I have a place. My gut is telling me that I might, but my 2A*s might make them turn me down. I also told someone I know about it (I went on a trip to Cambridge with them a while back) and they've applied with similar GCSEs to mine (with a B instead of a C and no D grade). Really hope they get a place too. I won't be bitter if they get one and I don't- they deserve a place.

I believe everyone finds out (or at least I do) on the 15th? I have three mock exams on that day (about 5 hours worth of exams) so it'll make the day even more stressful.

How are you feeling about it all?

I’ve applied for this! But for medicine as my first choice and then chemical engineering as my 2nd! I’ve left my application open for any date as i’m free for all of them haha
Reply 14

I've merged your thread into the existing thread for the Scheme :smile:
Original post by topbomlover1
I applied for MML as my first choice. Wishing I get in but everyone in my family apart from my mum went to uni. I do come from a school with not many oxbridge applicants and I live in a pretty poor area.

EDIT:
Oh I also only got 2A* but where I live that's like the best so here's hoping.

I got 2A*s too (chemistry and physics), though they kind of get negated by my 5 in English Language and D in German. Everything else is a string of As. Like you, my results were the best in my school as most people didn't get a single A*. The ones who did get one got a few As but mostly Bs.

I applied for NatSci (as I mentioned before) and I put down that my mum went to university. Single parent household as my parents divorced when I was eight or something, but even then my dad worked away a lot so he didn't really have an influence :frown:

My school is unfortunately seeing an increase in Oxbridge applicants (they DOUBLED this year) but usually only three to six get offers, and most get offers from Cambridge.
I applied to this and got in when i was in my AS - Now I'm studying my 2nd year of medicine at Cambridge. Such a brilliant scheme - good luck to everyone applying.
has anyone got confirmed email yet regarding the thing? It says for me to check later in the year...
Original post by RickHendricks
has anyone got confirmed email yet regarding the thing? It says for me to check later in the year...

We all get replies on the 15th, I believe. That's what it said on one of my emails.
We all get replies on the 15th, I believe. That's what it said on one of my emails.

k then. I thought i didn't get it for a second :smile: