The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medicinemaniac
Do you work with CUSU? and yeah, I didn't think she realised that I was on about my cousins not me, because she never knew until I brought it up to her. I'm kind of nervous since most applicants are getting emails. do you think acceptance emails will continue coming until tomorrow or?

Nope I have no connection. And note @Paralove's update :smile:
Ohh okay and thank you so much!
Original post by Doonesbury
Nope I have no connection. And note @Paralove's update :smile:
Who is this @paralove
Original post by Hannahglen12
Who is this @paralove

A 4th year MML student at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
A 3rd year MML student at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where are you getting her messages from. Are they on the Twitter or this forum
Who is this @paralove

A 3rd year MML student at Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

*4th year :wink:
Oh, I get it now. Hey paralove
Original post by Paralove
*4th year :wink:

How time flies! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So how many people on here got in

Also, and this is more important, you don't need to go on any of these schemes to be a successful applicant. The schemes are designed to benefit you as an individual, not to make you a better (or more "passionate", whatever that means) applicant.

If they gave any preference to attendees then that would be severely disadvantagous to those who miss out, which is the vast majority of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by RedGiant
Of course you still can! You don't have to have the opportunity to do any of these things to show your passion. Just because you got accepted onto the cusu shadow scheme, it doesn't mean you're passionate about the subject (that's not the purpose of the scheme). The shadowing scheme is a great thing to do, as it shows you what Cambridge is like, but it's not a ticket to getting an offer (or anything to do with the admissions process). You can do lots of things like further reading, helping out in lessons at your school (unless you're at a college), you can apply to headstart courses, take part (not necessarily win) in all the Olympiads, etc. You really don't have to do something amazing that few others have done.

Also, all things like these really do, is help you with your interview. They are taken account of, but it's not like just because you've done something amazing you will get an overall application score of 10. How you think, and what you are able to answer (both in the admissions assessment and in the interview), and your grades, are what really matter.

It's not necessarily just attending the events- it's what I'll see during the events, not saying "oh I attended this so I'm passionate" . I want to be shown something that will amaze me- that will form a solid foundation for a topic to talk about. There are barely any books solely about chemistry- they're always mixed up in biology or physics, at least when it comes to books that I actually have the ability to understand. Physicists have a huge range of books they can look at, biology/med books are quite common, but chemistry is the odd one out. I am still looking- got a few books on my Kindle that I'm doing to attempt to understand, but I also have some books with mixed topics. Fingers crossed.

I'm at a sixth form college without a school attached to it, but I am going to be tutoring at schools in the area. Just waiting for the meeting after Christmas which will give me information about whether it's going to be subject specific- although it will help with different universities regardless. The headstart courses are very few for Chemistry- two courses, if I recall correctly, with one mixed in with chemical engineering. Besides, the Nuffield course needs 4 consecutive weeks, so most would be off the table.

I'm so scared that in less than a year's time, I could start my first draft for my personal statement and realise that the only Chemistry related thing I've attended is the Top of the Bench competition in year 11- which we didn't even get top 3 in for our area (our school were short notice and barely prepared us), let alone region or country.

I just really want that experience of actually doing something and not just reading, if I can even find anything with depth. I'd also love to find something I can do an EPQ on too- which trips/schemes could also potentially help with. I don't feel as though saying "oh I read a few books" will cut it.

Original post by Moriayo
You should try Sutton summer trust summer schools aswell

I'll have a look! Although the Nuffield problem may prevent me from attending this too.
Where are you getting her messages from. Are they on the Twitter or this forum

As per this post earlier. (My edit for emphasis)

Original post by Paralove
Also please be super patient, it's a massive massive task to organise this (my friend is the CUSU Access Officer!).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bookloverlolly
It's not necessarily just attending the events- it's what I'll see during the events, not saying "oh I attended this so I'm passionate" . I want to be shown something that will amaze me- that will form a solid foundation for a topic to talk about. There are barely any books solely about chemistry- they're always mixed up in biology or physics, at least when it comes to books that I actually have the ability to understand. Physicists have a huge range of books they can look at, biology/med books are quite common, but chemistry is the odd one out. I am still looking- got a few books on my Kindle that I'm doing to attempt to understand, but I also have some books with mixed topics. Fingers crossed.

I'm at a sixth form college without a school attached to it, but I am going to be tutoring at schools in the area. Just waiting for the meeting after Christmas which will give me information about whether it's going to be subject specific- although it will help with different universities regardless. The headstart courses are very few for Chemistry- two courses, if I recall correctly, with one mixed in with chemical engineering. Besides, the Nuffield course needs 4 consecutive weeks, so most would be off the table.

I'm so scared that in less than a year's time, I could start my first draft for my personal statement and realise that the only Chemistry related thing I've attended is the Top of the Bench competition in year 11- which we didn't even get top 3 in for our area (our school were short notice and barely prepared us), let alone region or country.

I just really want that experience of actually doing something and not just reading, if I can even find anything with depth. I'd also love to find something I can do an EPQ on too- which trips/schemes could also potentially help with. I don't feel as though saying "oh I read a few books" will cut it.

I'll have a look! Although the Nuffield problem may prevent me from attending this too.

Which course are you considering applying to at Cambridge?

Edit: and no books about Chemistry?
https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/media_wysiwyg/Introductory_reading_for_Chemistry.pdf
And "Why Chemical Reactions Happen".

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Cut what? What are you trying to prove, and to whom?

And as I said you can do the Olympiads (British physics Olympiad, C3L6, there are many more), you can attend public lectures if you really want, if you genuinely are passionate about your subject then you shouldn't have much of an issue with finding ways to show it. Such things shouldn't be done just for the sake of it however, which is what you're starting to imply, they should be done purely because you genuinely want to (i.e. you actually enjoy doing whatever it is). That's the whole point of any of those things.

For simply finding stuff to put on your PS, all you have to do is attend the Olympiads, do some further reading, etc. The fact that you got accepted onto the shadowing scheme is hardly one of them.

I agree with what RedGiant said.

Your personal statement shouldn't be a list of things you attended, and you shouldn't force yourself to do things because they'll look good on your PS. I mean, you are interested in chemistry now without having done those things, aren't you? Sure, in the year you have left it is certainly a good idea to seek out opportunities to explore the subject, but it is nothing to be so stressed about this early. You'll be surprised by how easily just a few things (like the suggested olympiads, or even one single book you read) can be more than enough for statement.

Anyways, good luck :smile: I wish I had this much motivation a year ago, I had no idea what I wanted to do then lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Which course are you considering applying to at Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually want to apply to do Chemistry at Oxford, but NatSci is still definitely an option.

Original post by RedGiant
Cut what? What are you trying to prove, and to whom?

And as I said you can do the Olympiads (British physics Olympiad, C3L6, there are many more), you can attend public lectures if you really want, if you genuinely are passionate about your subject then you shouldn't have much of an issue with finding ways to show it. Such things shouldn't be done just for the sake of it however, which is what you're starting to imply, they should be done purely because you genuinely want to (i.e. you actually enjoy doing whatever it is). That's the whole point of any of those things.

For simply finding stuff to put on your PS, all you have to do is attend the Olympiads, do some further reading, etc. The fact that you got accepted onto the shadowing scheme is hardly one of them.

I don't want to do Physical NatSci- I want to do Chemistry at Oxford, so none of the Physics opportunities I'm getting are helping with the PS, but they're fun so I'm taking part. I do want to go to all of these schemes as I'm genuinely interested in experiencing the universities. It's not a case of "I got on the shadowing scheme" or "I went to UNIQ", it's what I do while I'm there- experience wise and academically.

Original post by CompSciCat
I agree with what RedGiant said.

Your personal statement shouldn't be a list of things you attended, and you shouldn't force yourself to do things because they'll look good on your PS. I mean, you are interested in chemistry now without having done those things, aren't you? Sure, in the year you have left it is certainly a good idea to seek out opportunities to explore the subject, but it is nothing to be so stressed about this early. You'll be surprised by how easily just a few things (like the suggested olympiads, or even one single book you read) can be more than enough for statement.

Anyways, good luck :smile: I wish I had this much motivation a year ago, I had no idea what I wanted to do then lol

I do agree with you both on the list thing- I don't want to go to the events just to make my PS look good. I'm going because I'd genuinely enjoy them- going to Cambridge for a few days where I can spend time with another student and see what's being studied at a top university is a dream. The personal statement topics/passion showing are sort of a side bonus. I'd want to talk about what I saw and why I found it so interesting, not just state that I went. I don't want a dry statement saying "well chemistry is my favourite subject and I'd like to carry on with it". I want to go on the Nuffield scheme because I want to do scientific research as a career, but I also get to say "we did research on this and *explanation of things we did" too.

I don't know if that makes sense. I can still have as good of a good personal statement if I don't get onto those schemes (although it may not be as varied), but I'll never get the experiences if I get rejected.
I actually want to apply to do Chemistry at Oxford, but NatSci is still definitely an option.

See my edit above - it quotes O*ford's recommended reading list for Chemistry ...

However, for STEM courses (apart from Medicine to some degree) the PS is among the least important aspects of your application to Oxbridge.
but I'll never get the experiences if I get rejected.

...like 95% of the other applicants that also don't do these schemes. They are not designed to give you an advantage in your application, otherwise that would be completely unfair to everyone else.
(edited 6 years ago)

I don't want to do Physical NatSci- I want to do Chemistry at Oxford, so none of the Physics opportunities I'm getting are helping with the PS, but they're fun so I'm taking part. I do want to go to all of these schemes as I'm genuinely interested in experiencing the universities. It's not a case of "I got on the shadowing scheme" or "I went to UNIQ", it's what I do while I'm there- experience wise and academically.

The British physics Olympiad was just an example, there are many other Olympiads and things that you could do to demonstrate your passion. Many of which do not require any kind of acceptance or 'gold medal'.

What do you mean "experience wise and academically"? CUSU shadowing is about seeing what Cambridge specifically is like, and what university is like in general, not about learning the actual course. Similar as well with UNIQ. If you're after some kind of advanced theory or some topic that will 'inspire' you into chemistry, then you should simply read around your subject, and not try and find the perfect thing that will look the best on your PS. This scheme, nor any residential trip/research placement (to an extent) is some kind of golden source of information for which you can use to read around your subject.

Also, the number of times the interviewers have read "I found the book 'Why chemical reactions happen' really interesting, because it talks about [insert topic]" is very large. They will probably have heard of almost all books they see on a PS written so many times before that it becomes insignificant. Especially the ones on the reading lists by Oxbridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Any recommendations for experience I could do towards an economics course
(edited 6 years ago)
Any recommendations for experience I coul do towards an economics course

You don't need any "experience". It's an academic not a vocational course...

Have you checked things like:
http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/guide.pdf
http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/PrelimReadingList.pdf

Why do *you* want to study Economics? Pursue things that help you do that - not just to fill up a PS.

Latest

Trending

Trending