Faz2154
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I do chemistry, maths and psychology and was wondering if there is any chance of me getting on a decent degree course in either of these areas without A level biology? If so, do you know which good unis don't require biology? I'm aware they are both very different careers but i'm not sure which is for me yet. Thanks in advance
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
For nursing biology is not a must as most people i know do A levels Sociology, Psychology and Religious studies or the BTEC Health and Social care level

For medicine however Biology A level is a must alongside Chemistry.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Faz2154)
I do chemistry, maths and psychology and was wondering if there is any chance of me getting on a decent degree course in either of these areas without A level biology? If so, do you know which good unis don't require biology? I'm aware they are both very different careers but i'm not sure which is for me yet. Thanks in advance
For medicine you don't need A2 Biology for all Universities, but most will require it. You will definitely need A2 Chemistry for all Universities. Sorry cannot help about nursing.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Faz2154)
Most universities require chemistry and biology for medicine. There are some which will accept just chemistry but you will be severely limiting your options. That's not to say that it would be impossible, just more difficult than if you had the option of applying to any university.

Unfortunately there are less clear-cut guidelines for nursing. Biology is generally not required, but is recommended. Generally as long as you study one science subject you will be meeting the entry criteria. Universities are reluctant to state whether they look at which science you study. Biology is certainly beneficial if you are wanting to study nursing.

I really would recommend having a look at what career you want to do as nursing and medicine are vastly different. There really is very little in common with the two careers so I would highly recommend you have a look into the roles and perhaps look at some work experience to help you make a decision.
Sharon Chebet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes
mishy alicia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hello everyone...for example you qualify for nursing in all cluster subject ...but you failed to qualify in biology..can you do bridging in such subject and proceed with nursing course
L3ne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do Sociology, Business and IT and I had a change of heart to do Nursing in university, is it possible to still do it without Bio and Chem? I heard only vocational unis take that
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by L3ne)
I do Sociology, Business and IT and I had a change of heart to do Nursing in university, is it possible to still do it without Bio and Chem? I heard only vocational unis take that
Do your research - have a look at university websites. Some unis, e.g. Liverpool, prefer students to have done Biology but these sorts of places don't demand chemistry (in fact, nowhere demands biology AND chemistry). Manchester lists acceptable A levels where Biology isn't done which includes psychology and sociology. Others just say any 3 subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
45.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
13.64%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
13.64%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
4.55%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
13.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed