Confidence Intervals of ratios Watch

bramp
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello,
I'm a PhD student and I'm a little embarrassed to be asking for Maths help on here, but there is something I couldn't find out by googling, so I figured I'll ask here.

I have been running two sets of experiments, the first is a base line, and the second is hopefully an improvement on the first. I repeat each experiment many times and get a set of values, for example:

first = ( 2, 3, 3, 2, 4, 2 ) mean = 2.67, stddev = 0.82, 95% interval = +/- 0.65
second = (4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 5 ) mean = 4.83, stddev = 0.75, 95% interval = +/- 0.6

Now I can work out a 95% confidence interval for both sets of values, but what I've been writing in my report is that the second experiment produces values 1.81 (4.83/2.67) higher (and better) than the first experiment. However I do not know what the confidence intervals would be on this value.

I had thought I could divide the intervals together for example the first min value divided by the second's min value. But I have a feeling this isn't right.

Hopefully this has explained my problem, and that someone is able to help.
Thanks
Andrew
bramp
Sorry I'm not sure I'm following you thirdrate. What are a, b and n?

Are you saying that
the Probability that R = a/b is the same as the Probability of X = n, times the probability of Y = n * a/b ?

So that will give me a distribution, and then from the distribution I can work out the +/- 5% around the mean? It would help a lot of you could show me how this works on the values I actually gave.

One thing I should note. The values I've given are not the real values for my experiment, and just some I made up. However I plan to work out the ratio for both discrete and continuous data.

thanks
bramp
Ok, now I understand your first post. Thanks for taking the time to show me with my data.

I'm sorry to be a pain but I don't see how this relates to the confidence intervals. Is it that basically now that I know all the possible ratios from my samples, thus I can work out the confidence interval on those values?

thanks
bramp
Thanks for all the help, but I have now found the solution here:
http://www.graphpad.com/quickcalcs/ErrorProp1.cfm
http://graphpad.com/FAQ/images/Ci%20of%20quotient.pdf

What I needed to use was the Fieller method to work out the confidence intervals.

thanks
Andrew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.56%
Leave (375)
20.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed