The Student Room Group

Extra year funding confusion

I don't even know where to start with this as it's such a complete mess.

7 years ago had 3 years of tuition fees and 4 years of maintenance loans/grants. I actually had 4 years of tuition fees but one was disregarded due to compelling personal reasons. (I dropped out eventually as it was just the wrong time so I left after completing 240credits)

i was led to believe by student finance that I would be entitled to one more year of tuition fees this year as i hadn't had the full 4 years, my entitlement letter said I wasn't entitled but on the phone they said once the university confirm my eligibility for the top-up third year it would change

3 weeks ago my university finance office called them and she was told the same as me, that they needed to provide proof of eligibility on the course and then I would be fine.....fast forward to today and i call to ask for some clarification...only to be told I would never have been entitled as the year I paid my own fees and only had maintenance loans and grants counts as a year of finance...meaning I had had my 4 years. obviously I have already registered as I was told I was entitled ( however the adviser says no notes were made to show i had been told this and say that I would have been told I wouldn't be ( Like i would continue to chase if I already had been told).
I don't know what to do now, I can't continue the course as I don't actually have £9250 to spare and if I drop out I will still owe the fees.

I can't see any way out here??

Any advice appreciated
Original post by jenna.marie206
I don't even know where to start with this as it's such a complete mess.

7 years ago had 3 years of tuition fees and 4 years of maintenance loans/grants. I actually had 4 years of tuition fees but one was disregarded due to compelling personal reasons. (I dropped out eventually as it was just the wrong time so I left after completing 240credits)

i was led to believe by student finance that I would be entitled to one more year of tuition fees this year as i hadn't had the full 4 years, my entitlement letter said I wasn't entitled but on the phone they said once the university confirm my eligibility for the top-up third year it would change

3 weeks ago my university finance office called them and she was told the same as me, that they needed to provide proof of eligibility on the course and then I would be fine.....fast forward to today and i call to ask for some clarification...only to be told I would never have been entitled as the year I paid my own fees and only had maintenance loans and grants counts as a year of finance...meaning I had had my 4 years. obviously I have already registered as I was told I was entitled ( however the adviser says no notes were made to show i had been told this and say that I would have been told I wouldn't be ( Like i would continue to chase if I already had been told).
I don't know what to do now, I can't continue the course as I don't actually have £9250 to spare and if I drop out I will still owe the fees.

I can't see any way out here??

Any advice appreciated

Hi jenna.marie206,

That does look like a bit of a mess but hopefully we can provide some clarity. To help me do that I have some questions for you.

Firstly, what was your previous course and what was its ordinary duration?

Secondly, what course are you looking to do and what is its ordinary duration?

And lastly (for the moment), did you send the compelling personal reasons evidence to us or was it purely for university purposes?

Thanks,

Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending