Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well....i made the completely wrong choice in choosing my a levels, i chose business studies and economics...do any of you think that i should drop AS business next year and take on another "more respected" subject to stand a good chance of getting into a good uni??

thnx

ReputationRep:
    No. You can't really make the wrong choice unless you're not doing a subject specifically required by the course, e.g. doing degree level biochemistry without doing biology or chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    She said a good uni.. and business studies is bit of a fluff subject.

If you haven't even started your AS yet, just talk to your school and make a swap before you start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eDDeboo)
    She said a good uni.. and business studies is bit of a fluff subject.

If you haven't even started your AS yet, just talk to your school and make a swap before you start.

i started it already from sept.... i just realized that doing business studies and economics together isnt really a good choice...do you think i should take another AS next year? (like maths or a language?)

and if you do your own mother language for an A level is it respected by unis?

thnx for the quick replies

ReputationRep:
    Any language is respected, everywhere is looking for bi-lingual students now. Just means you have an advantage.

Why not drop business studies and just go into a different course.. do a load of self teaching at home to catch up.. Or, take a one year fast-track course at start of next year..

ReputationRep:
    how many AS levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    as long as Business studies is your only fluff choice then it should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i'm kind of in the same boat. i chose law, business studies, english lit and history. however i've decided, depending on my AS grades, to drop business for A2 and continue with the other three.
    i know how gutted you feel... i felt like that too, kind of still do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpd1989)
    how many AS levels are you doing?

im doing 4 AS (biology, chemistry, economics and business studies) but i might also take up another language for a level

ReputationRep:
    what are you hoping to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    So do AS Bio, Chem, Econ, Business.

Then at the end of AS drop Business and take up another AS with A2 Bio, chem and econ.

You'll end up with AAAaa (If you are aiming for the top universities, which I assume you are if you care about blacklisted subjects) and have 4 respected subjects and no problems with any universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    So do AS Bio, Chem, Econ, Business.

Then at the end of AS drop Business and take up another AS with A2 Bio, chem and econ.

You'll end up with AAAaa (If you are aiming for the top universities, which I assume you are if you care about blacklisted subjects) and have 4 respected subjects and no problems with any universities.
    thnx for the advice....could anyone advise me on a subject to choose which will be a perfect combination with my AS subjects? (and iheard that A2 is much harder with AS too.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    thnx for the advice....could anyone advise me on a subject to choose which will be a perfect combination with my AS subjects? (and iheard that A2 is much harder with AS too.....
    Yeah. I'm doing A2 now and struggling with the jump from AS to A2. Personally I think if you get AAAA at AS or similar then you will be able to cope with picking up another AS, but if you get less than you expect then it might be best just to drop business and focus on getting AAA in the other 3.

Well, as to what subject to pick up, that would really depend on what you plan to do at university. Maths is always good, or maybe a language or english lit to show that you can cope with a contrast of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    Yeah. I'm doing A2 now and struggling with the jump from AS to A2. Personally I think if you get AAAA at AS or similar then you will be able to cope with picking up another AS, but if you get less than you expect then it might be best just to drop business and focus on getting AAA in the other 3.

Well, as to what subject to pick up, that would really depend on what you plan to do at university. Maths is always good, or maybe a language or english lit to show that you can cope with a contrast of subjects.

thnx for yoru advice (would chinese be a good a-level to pick up? as their economy is growing really fast nowadays )

ReputationRep:
    Any language is great.

ReputationRep:
    Chinese is my favourite

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.