Farrukhi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The essay question is: ‘Parliament can legally legislate on any topic whatever which, in the judgment of Parliament, is a fit subject for legislation. There is no power which, under the English constitution, can come into rivalry with the legislative sovereignty of Parliament.’

A.V.Dicey, ‘Introduction to the Study of the Law of the Constitution’ (1885).

Discuss how far is this view of Dicey an accurate reflection concerning the legislative supremacy of the UK Parliament today?

I've read the question several times but I have never written a law essay before so don't know really know what to do. Or what it is asking?

1) What am i supposed to discuss ? What is it really asking us to do?

2) Can someone give me some possible issues to discuss so I know what kind of thing what kind of thing we should be discussing?

Thanks x
umbrellala
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Farrukhi)
The essay question is: ‘Parliament can legally legislate on any topic whatever which, in the judgment of Parliament, is a fit subject for legislation. There is no power which, under the English constitution, can come into rivalry with the legislative sovereignty of Parliament.’

A.V.Dicey, ‘Introduction to the Study of the Law of the Constitution’ (1885).

Discuss how far is this view of Dicey an accurate reflection concerning the legislative supremacy of the UK Parliament today?

I've read the question several times but I have never written a law essay before so don't know really know what to do. Or what it is asking?

1) What am i supposed to discuss ? What is it really asking us to do?

2) Can someone give me some possible issues to discuss so I know what kind of thing what kind of thing we should be discussing?

Thanks x
I can only really help you from a Government & Politics perspective, but I assume it kind of works the same way. To me it seems like they're asking you to assess the extent of Parliament's sovereignty and how far their powers extend.
In terms of what to discuss, I guess it depends on what you've already been taught about sovereignty. For example, I would talk the fact that the EU does (did) have supreme legal power over the UK government, or that the monarchy can refuse to sign a bill into law, even though it's convention to do so. I have no idea if that's any help though because I'm not a law student, sorry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (59)
67.05%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.36%

Watched Threads