infiinitee_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys, so basically I have been rejected for law at both Oxford and LSE this past week.

To be honest, I was a little surprised, yet at the same time not really, with the Oxford rejection. I thought my grades were at least decent enough to carry me through to the interview stage.

My LSE rejection however, was totally unsurprising. The reason LSE gave me for my rejection was that my PS wasn’t strong enough.

So, my top two universities have basically crushed all my hopes. I’m still waiting on KCL and UCL (have an offer from QMUL thank gosh- but not really sure if I would want to go there) but I highly doubt I’ll be getting an offer from either of them if I’ve been rejected by both Oxford and LSE.

There’s also this nagging suspicion that my teacher reference was less than stellar. The teacher who wrote my reference has the reputation for is not the kind of teacher to go the extra mile for students and would just do the bare minimum.

Also doesn’t help that I’m international and doing the IB instead of conventional A Levels

This is basically just a rant post. I’m not sure how to feel right now and yeah... I was thinking of reapplying next year but I’m not even sure if that’s a good idea since I already got an offer from a pretty good school. Just sucks since I’d dedicated my life to getting into a top uni...
Wolfram Alpha
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At least you have one offer and not five rejections like some people do...
AlexJu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh, I do understand you. Got rejected from Oxford (although I had perfect predicted grades, quite a strong PS, a lot of extra activities and a more difficult English qualification) and waiting for LSE to decide. However, don't worry that much at the moment. Your rejections do not mean that you don't have a chance of getting in UCL or KCl. I got my offer from KCL despite being rejected at Oxford, so why should you not? Cheer up!
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At the end of the day you'll feel bad, but once calm, it'll boil down to what you feel then. KCL and UCL are perfectly excellent universities, both within the top 25 universities worldwide (QS Rankings)! I can appreciate wanting to apply to Oxford and LSE, so if it's so important you can try again if you get the grades - if not, you can still reapply to universities you rejected this year, they don't base against it (none of mine have, anyway).
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May I ask why you think there is a problem with you studying IB as opposed to A-levels? They're equivalent and really don't change anything about your application so I'm not 100% sure what you mean haha

Anyway, QMUL is a good uni for Law so whats the problem?
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexJu)
Oh, I do understand you. Got rejected from Oxford (although I had perfect predicted grades, quite a strong PS, a lot of extra activities and a more difficult English qualification) and waiting for LSE to decide. However, don't worry that much at the moment. Your rejections do not mean that you don't have a chance of getting in UCL or KCl. I got my offer from KCL despite being rejected at Oxford, so why should you not? Cheer up!
Ah that sucks about Oxford. So sorry to hear that :/ hopefully you’ll get accepted into LSE! Just wondering but what course did you apply for? Good luck and thanks so much for the kind words
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wolfram Alpha)
At least you have one offer and not five rejections like some people do...
I agree I should probably be more grateful but I can’t help but be disappointed when I’ve spent the past 5 years intensively studying for a spot at a top uni
AlexJu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by infiinitee_)
Ah that sucks about Oxford. So sorry to hear that :/ hopefully you’ll get accepted into LSE! Just wondering but what course did you apply for? Good luck and thanks so much for the kind words
Thank you too
I applied for PPE
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by CastCuraga)
At the end of the day you'll feel bad, but once calm, it'll boil down to what you feel then. KCL and UCL are perfectly excellent universities, both within the top 25 universities worldwide (QS Rankings)! I can appreciate wanting to apply to Oxford and LSE, so if it's so important you can try again if you get the grades - if not, you can still reapply to universities you rejected this year, they don't base against it (none of mine have, anyway).
Thanks so much for your kind words just out of curiosity, are you a re-applicant? I’m really considering the idea and would like to weigh out the pros and cons
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
May I ask why you think there is a problem with you studying IB as opposed to A-levels? They're equivalent and really don't change anything about your application so I'm not 100% sure what you mean haha

Anyway, QMUL is a good uni for Law so whats the problem?
Rumour has floated around my school that IB < A levels with UK unis and the other way around for US.

Qmul is a good uni but like I said, was really hoping to go to LSE/Oxbridge/UCL (through I know there’s still a chance there).
AuroraNyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks so much for your kind words just out of curiosity, are you a re-applicant? I’m really considering the idea and would like to weigh out the pros and cons
This is actually my second time reapplying, I'm sure I can help if you need
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlexJu)
Thank you too
I applied for PPE
Good luck for your the rest of your application
AlexJu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good luck for your the rest of your application
Thank you! you too)
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by CastCuraga)
This is actually my second time reapplying, I'm sure I can help if you need
Thank you so much. Could I PM you instead?
AuroraNyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much. Could I PM you instead?
Go ahead
LKcheung
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
May I know whether I can use 2018 IB result to reapply the universities rejected me this year in 2019? I got rejected by Oxford and UCL.
AuroraNyx
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LKcheung)
May I know whether I can use 2018 IB result to reapply the universities rejected me this year in 2019? I got rejected by Oxford and UCL.
You can if you meet their entry requirements and reapply next year (i.e. For 2019 entry).
infiinitee_
Rep:
?
(Original post by LKcheung)
I’m sorry to hear that hopefully the rest of your application goes well. Rejected from LSE and Oxford as well so I guess we’re in the same boat!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There’s also this nagging suspicion that my teacher reference was less than stellar. The teacher who wrote my reference has the reputation for is not the kind of teacher to go the extra mile for students and would just do the bare minimum.
I believe that you can get a copy of your reference.

I believe that Oxford will have based their decision to a large extent on the LNAT. You should be able to get their feedback in January IIRC.

Good luck with your remaining applications.
LKcheung
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think this is the end of the world. I have spent a lot of effort in preparing for these universities and I think I should be part of them. Now they even did not offer me an interview! I decide to move on and try my best to get a good IB grades In 2018. Will they evaluate my application separately for 2019 enrollment, that means, not relying on the failure this year?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads