What should I take for my GCSEs? I am in Year 9 and will have to choose by February. Watch

TheKing'sAvatar
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi! So, I am in Year 9 and am in the Options process now. I have only a slight idea of what I want to be when I'm older. Important Info: I am good at everything, I want to be in the fields of physics or law, I would like to earn a lot, I would like to have a job that requires me to dress well. I only have 3 options. Subject to change.
lak11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
take a fun subject that you know you will enjoy because especially with this new gcse's you dont want it to be very focused academically, so then you have a lesson to look forward to where you dont stress as much.
AlleyKatS
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look into careers in the fields you're interested in and take a look at what you'll need to get in. This should help figure out what career you want and help work out if it's the right career for you. Don't go for jobs that need subjects you don't enjoy or aren't fond of and this should help eliminate options. Go with what you're best at and enjoy the most.
Teco12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Make sure you pick the subjects you enjoy! Most people don’t know what career they want at a young age, it will naturally arrive by choosing subjects you love! Also try not to panic when choosing or over think your choices at this stage don’t define your whole career. Good luck choosing
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
marshmello
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I'm in Year 11 right now and I think I can help you. If you want to go into the field of law, History GCSE would be very good as it's an essay based subject, but don't worry if you don't like it you don't have to do it, I'm currently doing Geography (Not the biggest essay based subject) and I am gonna go into law! . Choosing a humanity (History or Geography) would be really good. Also, choose a language! It would be great to have a language as a GCSE to show versatility, but once again don't choose it if you don't like it. You should also choose a fun subject, one that you think you will enjoy and have fun with, e.g Business, Art, Photography, Sociology etc.Also if you decide to go into the field of physics, I don't think your GCSE options would affect that as physics is compulsory?Anyways I wish you the best of luck with your studies! c:
TheKing'sAvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by melodyzavi)
Hi! I'm in Year 11 right now and I think I can help you. If you want to go into the field of law, History GCSE would be very good as it's an essay based subject, but don't worry if you don't like it you don't have to do it, I'm currently doing Geography (Not the biggest essay based subject) and I am gonna go into law! . Choosing a humanity (History or Geography) would be really good. Also, choose a language! It would be great to have a language as a GCSE to show versatility, but once again don't choose it if you don't like it. You should also choose a fun subject, one that you think you will enjoy and have fun with, e.g Business, Art, Photography, Sociology etc.Also if you decide to go into the field of physics, I don't think your GCSE options would affect that as physics is compulsory?Anyways I wish you the best of luck with your studies! c:
Thank you so much!
marshmello
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheKing'sAvatar)
Thank you so much!
No problem c:
TheKing'sAvatar
Rep:
?
What do you guys think about the following?Geography, History, Business Studies
marshmello
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's a great range of subjects!
TheKing'sAvatar
Rep:
?
(Original post by melodyzavi)
That's a great range of subjects!
Which jobs do you think these can get me? And what should I do for A Levels, and University to get to said job ?
marshmello
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History and Geography are really good as they can lead you to any career. With history, it would help with you with Law. There is actually no required subjects at A Level to do Law, but unis prefer essay based subjects e.g History, English Lit and they also like a range of subjects ( Sciences, Social Sciences, Maths, basically anything!) for example for A Levels I think I've decided on English Lit, Politics & Economics. Onto Geography, Geography as a GCSE would leads you to a veryyyy wide range of subjects, especially if you do it for A Level. If you wanted to do Economics, for example , at uni, Geography would be a great A Level to do paired with Maths & Economics. I currently do Business Studies and I believe it's helped me alotttt with Geography as well as the two subjects are linked, History however is not linked with the two but nothing big to worry about. Also keep in mind GCSES are not important and employers don't really look at what you did at GCSE but more at A Level.
Feel free to ask me more questions! c:
DeclanGCSEs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GCSE options do not matter at all!
JustSomeoneAlone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
QUOTE=TheKing'sAvatar;74855268]What do you guys think about the following?Geography, History, Business Studies[/QUOTE]

I am in year 11 as well and I would say Computer science. Don't get me wrong Geography is great and all but now technology is so advanced it would be great to have for employability skills. Also from what I see Geography requires good maths skills and can get a bit much at times so If you have a maths and a physics GCSE why not expand the range of skills you have.

HOWEVER:

Computer science is quite new and it is very difficult towards the end. It will require programming which is pretty much learning a brand new language and requires time and practice.

Or you can take up a language instead. My sister speaks 3 languages and it really did help her get a great job. The more you vary the more you will stand out. But remember that will take time and patience as well.

Computer science, a language and Geography are all very rewarding. But its down to you. Just remember to go into further education for physics you need great maths skills as that is a huge factor in physics and English will be needed. (BTW RE and History count as an English based subject) which means if you do badly in English but great in History they might overlook it.

Anyway, the choice is yours.
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look, GCSE options don't matter much at all - only what grades you get.

The only thing that is affected by what you take is sixth form, as some have certain requirements
lemonsweetcocoa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hiya!
As someone who has experienced the option process and have exactly the same ambitions!
For a high salary I would pick triple science as it is in close knit with engineering!
But remember pick a relaxing subject to let off steam!I wished i would have picked art instead of geography.
good luck for the future!
Ouma_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Here's a helpful checklist that I used, ranked by importance:

1. Are you good at the subject?
When you're taking 9-12 GCSE's, its helpful to have something you're good at, and it's likely if you get high grades in the subject then you enjoy it too.

2. Do you enjoy the subject?
Fairly self explanatory: enjoying the subject will greatly help motivate you when it comes to revising before exams, etc.

3. Is it useful to your current career plans?
It's not ideal to be taking double science when you want to become a doctor.

4. When combined with the rest of your choices, does it leave lots of options and career paths open?
Even if you have ideas now, it's always good to plan ahead if you change your mind: some schools also require you to have taken a subject at GCSE if you want to take the A Level.

Hope this helps!
Jadevchristine
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Choose subjects that you enjoy!
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
'I want a job that requires me to dress very well'

Priorities Mi rite
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pick sociology, psychology or religious studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish