How do you revise effectively for A2 chemistry?

Watch
Lia22
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm really struggling at the moment.
I've been learning the content, and doing past paper questions ( board OCR A) but when we have end of topic tests I always seem to come out with a C/D
I need atleast a B for my univeristy courses, which honestly seems impossible to achieve right now.
I do have a tutor and she's helping to some extent...but it's only 1 hour a week, so not as much we can do in the lesson.
are there any resources people can suggest for me to try? it's a new spec, so I'm really stuck for questions. Would it be suitable for me to use other board papers?
thanks
coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You need to do all the past paper questions possible, for me I had done papers from 2000 to 2016 for about 10 times. This may sound like a lot of work but its worth it. You need to know your definition and the mechanisms inside out. Also, make sure your AS chemistry knowledge is strong enough (you must understand the calculation in the first year in order to build on it later on). I have done questions from all other exam boards too because I had done the OCR papers too many times, it was helpful as it helps you the grasp the concept by seeing the questions being styled differently. For me I think its pretty pointless to get a tutor because for whatever question you are stuck on, you can find all the find from either your school teachers or on student room. I had made about 50 threads when I was doing my A-level last year, so I didn't spend a penny on tutoring. Just make sure you work hard and learn from your mistake and really try to understand why the mistakes were made in the first place. I did this and got an A* at the end ( I did OCR A).
username2560671
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lia22)
I'm really struggling at the moment.
I've been learning the content, and doing past paper questions ( board OCR A) but when we have end of topic tests I always seem to come out with a C/D
I need atleast a B for my univeristy courses, which honestly seems impossible to achieve right now.
I do have a tutor and she's helping to some extent...but it's only 1 hour a week, so not as much we can do in the lesson.
are there any resources people can suggest for me to try? it's a new spec, so I'm really stuck for questions. Would it be suitable for me to use other board papers?
thanks
I think you should definitely do other boards' papers! Don't restrict yourself! Use ChemGuide, it's a website specifically designed for AS/A Level Chemistry. It will help a lot trust me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads