Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I applied for mechanical engineering - cool.
Can't help but feel like i chose that just to gain approval from my family (even though i know full well that would not change)
Don't get me wrong I love doing maths and physics but I can't help but feel I should have chosen something I would really enjoy in life like doing something with animals or natureish idk maybe i'm just overthinking it but i know that my depression will hit hard at uni and i'll doubt everything and struggle so much i'l want to die/drop out.
Franzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I applied for mechanical engineering - cool.
Can't help but feel like i chose that just to gain approval from my family (even though i know full well that would not change)
Don't get me wrong I love doing maths and physics but I can't help but feel I should have chosen something I would really enjoy in life like doing something with animals or natureish idk maybe i'm just overthinking it but i know that my depression will hit hard at uni and i'll doubt everything and struggle so much i'l want to die/drop out.
It sounds like a tough situation. There's no right answer really. If you chose not to do a mech eng degree next year, what do you think you would do? Try and find a job nature/animal based? Or a degree in that field?

I don't think you can take the "know that my depression will hit hard" attitude with you to university if you decide to do the mech degree. From experience, I feel if you go into it that way then it's much more likely to happen like that. I ended up dropping out of an aero eng degree due to not being 'into' it enough and thinking that it wasn't my path in life but, with retrospect, I don't believe I gave it a proper chance. Turned out I wasn't as passionate as or as good at the alternatives as I thought I would be but it was quite easier to have the greener-grass mentality at the time I chose to give up. I think you need to be suitably invested into whatever subject you're planning on reading at university. Just try not to approach with any sort of defeat in you is, I guess, what I'm trying to emphasize.

Does anything excite you about studying mech eng? Taking on group design projects? Covering new topics (CAD/coding/etc)? Delving more into the applied maths? And perhaps you could sate the animals/nature appetite with something you do in you spare time? :dontknow: [just brainstorming]
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Franzen)
It sounds like a tough situation. There's no right answer really. If you chose not to do a mech eng degree next year, what do you think you would do? Try and find a job nature/animal based? Or a degree in that field?

I don't think you can take the "know that my depression will hit hard" attitude with you to university if you decide to do the mech degree. From experience, I feel if you go into it that way then it's much more likely to happen like that. I ended up dropping out of an aero eng degree due to not being 'into' it enough and thinking that it wasn't my path in life but, with retrospect, I don't believe I gave it a proper chance. Turned out I wasn't as passionate as or as good at the alternatives as I thought I would be but it was quite easier to have the greener-grass mentality at the time I chose to give up. I think you need to be suitably invested into whatever subject you're planning on reading at university. Just try not to approach with any sort of defeat in you is, I guess, what I'm trying to emphasize.

Does anything excite you about studying mech eng? Taking on group design projects? Covering new topics (CAD/coding/etc)? Delving more into the applied maths? And perhaps you could sate the animals/nature appetite with something you do in you spare time? :dontknow: [just brainstorming]
Hey there, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I know I shouldn't be taking the negative attitude to university but it plays on my mind haha... Engineering students are notorious for working for hours on end and I know i'll end up comparing my life to one of a student with "softer" kind of degree (not to belittle other degrees it's just a different structure). I'm scared of getting to a point where I realize maybe I chose the wrong course or something I don't know.

However I was slightlyyy obsessed with following Elon musk's projects and adored Chris Hadfield so I wanted to be like them and wanted to do engineering (change the world n all). Not sure which modules i'd like/dislike since it's all fairly foreign to me at the moment but looking at coding and more applied mathematics it's pretty exciting I guess. It's probably for the best that animals and nature are left for leisure, can't imagine myself being a vet although I like the sound of being a tree house builder but I can also do that as a hobby type job after I graduate.

If I may ask, what are you doing now since your dropped aero? Oh and are there fun students in engineering? Since I have this strange preconception that the students will be bland (idk i'm just generalizing) and i'll have a hard time finding friends.
Franzen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey there, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I know I shouldn't be taking the negative attitude to university but it plays on my mind haha... Engineering students are notorious for working for hours on end and I know i'll end up comparing my life to one of a student with "softer" kind of degree (not to belittle other degrees it's just a different structure). I'm scared of getting to a point where I realize maybe I chose the wrong course or something I don't know.

However I was slightlyyy obsessed with following Elon musk's projects and adored Chris Hadfield so I wanted to be like them and wanted to do engineering (change the world n all). Not sure which modules i'd like/dislike since it's all fairly foreign to me at the moment but looking at coding and more applied mathematics it's pretty exciting I guess. It's probably for the best that animals and nature are left for leisure, can't imagine myself being a vet although I like the sound of being a tree house builder but I can also do that as a hobby type job after I graduate.

If I may ask, what are you doing now since your dropped aero? Oh and are there fun students in engineering? Since I have this strange preconception that the students will be bland (idk i'm just generalizing) and i'll have a hard time finding friends.
You seem suitably interested imo Also, there's so much potential with an engineering degree that you need not be confined to it post degree.

I get what you mean when comparing yourself to people doing other degrees and it's difficult to escape. I think it's useful to have mental coping mechanisms when such feelings arise, so you can try and avoid continuing negative thoughts (again speaking from experience). For example, could I see myself doing all of these other degrees? No chance could I see myself doing English or Philosophy - everybody has their own strengths. Is [insert degree here] really that easy? Well person X from my flat doesn't seem to be doing any work but person Y off the same course says they're spending a lot of time reading to keep up.

You say you're scared of getting to a point where you think you chose the wrong course... I dunno. Maybe there is no right course and there is no wrong course? There is just the course you are choosing to do. There will be things you like about the degree and things you dislike. Get through the things you dislike and enjoy what you end up liking.

I have worked a variety of boring jobs for the past four or so years (I'm about to head off for a night shift :yawn:). Have saved enough to be able to go back to university next year to do maths. Hardly a mile away from aero! There's a good variety of people in engineering. Students definitely won't all be bland - there'll be the whole range like any walk of life. And making friends can happen outside of the course. Are you going to be moving to halls? And there are sports clubs and societies too?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Franzen)
You seem suitably interested imo Also, there's so much potential with an engineering degree that you need not be confined to it post degree.

I get what you mean when comparing yourself to people doing other degrees and it's difficult to escape. I think it's useful to have mental coping mechanisms when such feelings arise, so you can try and avoid continuing negative thoughts (again speaking from experience). For example, could I see myself doing all of these other degrees? No chance could I see myself doing English or Philosophy - everybody has their own strengths. Is [insert degree here] really that easy? Well person X from my flat doesn't seem to be doing any work but person Y off the same course says they're spending a lot of time reading to keep up.

You say you're scared of getting to a point where you think you chose the wrong course... I dunno. Maybe there is no right course and there is no wrong course? There is just the course you are choosing to do. There will be things you like about the degree and things you dislike. Get through the things you dislike and enjoy what you end up liking.

I have worked a variety of boring jobs for the past four or so years (I'm about to head off for a night shift :yawn:). Have saved enough to be able to go back to university next year to do maths. Hardly a mile away from aero! There's a good variety of people in engineering. Students definitely won't all be bland - there'll be the whole range like any walk of life. And making friends can happen outside of the course. Are you going to be moving to halls? And there are sports clubs and societies too?
Aha maybe I am right for engineering and i'm just letting anxiety get the better of me haha..

I couldn't agree more about those writing subjects, I know that I get so frustrated and i'm simply not inclined to anything that requires lots of writing and thinking (unless its with numbers ) whereas they would most likely say the opposite and that maths is just gibberish to them.

I mean societies and clubs will be a prime opportunity to meet new people but i'm a bit concerned that i'll end up isolating myself to do work and stay on top of that - but hey that's just me and something I need to work on. Hope maths will be okay for you this time at university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (5)
55.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (4)
44.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed