Turn on thread page Beta

Ruined the front of my car! HELP! watch

ReputationRep:
    Just coming out of a car park and some idiot came in the wrong way at about 100mph causing me to swerve and in doing so I scraped a low barrier. The paint is badly damaged and there's a dent so I think the front left wing needs replacing. I'm in tears and absolutely gutted, as well as quite shaken as UI've only been driving properly 2 days. My parents are away for the weekend so please help! What do I ring a garage and say and how much is it likely to cost? It's a 51 Vauxhall COrsa. Please help!

[image]http://quick.holdthatpic.com/images/180932.jpg[/image]
    Image hosted for free at HoldThatPic.com

That's the damage... :mad: I'm so upset!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyblueeyes)
    Just coming out of a car park and some idiot came in the wrong way at about 100mph causing me to swerve and in doing so I scraped a low barrier. The paint is badly damaged and there's a dent so I think the front left wing needs replacing. I'm in tears and absolutely gutted, as well as quite shaken as UI've only been driving properly 2 days. My parents are away for the weekend so please help! What do I ring a garage and say and how much is it likely to cost? It's a 51 Vauxhall COrsa. Please help!

[image]http://quick.holdthatpic.com/images/180932.jpg[/image]
    Image hosted for free at HoldThatPic.com

youl be really lucky if you can get it fixed in 2 days hun if yor going to phone a garage start RIGHT now,the scrapes are probably easier to conceal than the dent,sorry i dont know much about cars :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    we cant see those pictures. can you describe the damage?

ReputationRep:
    http://quick.holdthatpic.com/images/180932.jpg

ReputationRep:

right, dont worry about that lol. its extremely small and minimal. a couple of coats of spray paint from halfords will sort the bumper out. but the wing can be replaced if you want but if it were my car id just use pliers to pull it straight, and then spray it a little. it wont look perfect that way because the metal has stretched but its very cheap.

ReputationRep:

The damage dosent look too bad although i'd expect you'll probably end up paying around £200 to get it fixed.

awwww im so sorry, what an idiot :hugs: .
    It doesn't look that bad honestly, are u worried ur parents will be angry? its not ur fault :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_Rose)
    The damage dosent look too bad although i'd expect you'll probably end up paying around £200 to get it fixed.
    for a perfect job yes. but to be totally honest a quick DIY fix will get it looking 90% correct and cost less than £20.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I'm still shaking I'm so upset! I know in reality my parents won't be too mad at me, and I'll pay for the repair obviously, but I'm just embarassed and so upset that it's happened! I don't think I'll chance trying to use plyers on it myself! Will someone at Halfords or a garage do it for me if I buy the paint? I think I have the name of it somewhere. To make it worse the other car didn't stop or even notice and it's a quiet carpark so no cameras or anything! I bet everyone will think it's my fault! I pulled in to Kwik-Fit and all the young guys just laughed and said it would cost about £400! How much would a new wing be?
    thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I'm still shaking I'm so upset! I know in reality my parents won't be too mad at me, and I'll pay for the repair obviously, but I'm just embarassed and so upset that it's happened! I don't think I'll chance trying to use plyers on it myself! Will someone at Halfords or a garage do it for me if I buy the paint? I think I have the name of it somewhere. To make it worse the other car didn't stop or even notice and it's a quiet carpark so no cameras or anything! I bet everyone will think it's my fault! I pulled in to Kwik-Fit and all the young guys just laughed and said it would cost about £400! How much would a new wing be?
    thanks x
    i dont own a corsa so im not 100%. but really ask yourself if that small amount of damage is really worth paying to get fixed. i mean, no offence but chances are it could happen again. if you were about to sell the car then id consider fixing it professionally. but if your just driving it it really depends on how much it botheres you. a full job would probableys replace the bumper and wing. which would be around £200. but really its not worth it. get your dad to bend the metal back with pliers and couple of coats of spray paint and nobody will notice it.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure your parents wont be too upset you have only been driving 2 days,i made loads of stupid mistakes my first week of driving

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your help! I'm just going to take it to a local place that does body work and get their opinion and if it's too much I'll leave it until my Dad comes over and try and fix it then. Thanks so much x

also its not ur fault some pleb decided to floor it the wrong way into the carpark. Jeez some poeople are selfish idiots

ReputationRep:
    They said I'll "definitely need" a new wing and it will come to £350! Two guys in there also laughed when I said I'd been driving less than a week and said it "must have been my fault". I think I'll let my Dad have a look at it first and see if he can fix it, or get one of his friends to. Thanks everyone, just need to tell the parents now

ReputationRep:
    In the nicest way possible garages will often rip off girls(especially young ones) so it may be better (and cheaper) for your dad to take the car to a garage anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Just rang my Dad and burst in to tears on the phone but he said not to worry he'll have a look at it and maybe take it to the garage of a friend of his. I just feel silly! Thanks anyway everyone for the advice, I think I'll avoid garages on my own (and carparks!) for a while!

ReputationRep:
    £350 for a wing lol

is this what your after; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/02-Vauxhall-Co...sid=p1723.m118

ReputationRep:
    Yep that looks like it, but mine is silver. Hopefully my Dad can get the plyers on it and then it's just a case of paint. Still at least I didn't hit the other car or get hurt I guess, just feel so silly that I've done it within 2 days of passing. Never mind! Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_Rose)
    Ha! You'll be lucky,to fix that wing will be at least £500 inc paint, but plus labour

The bumper, a little easier, but as the paintwork is metallic it makes life tricky. Suggest some Metallic T-Cut to start with and go from there, might come out with t-cut, may not as they are quite deep.

Did you get the guys reg number?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Nothing major happened - nothing vital was damaged and you weren't hurt!

Okay, its unnerving only being driving a few days and something like this happened, at least your dad understood and was okay with you!

Scratches are a bugger to come out, especially if they are deep. Ive got some on the front of my car from my first month of driving!

We all make mistakes, so don't worry about it, and just ignore those stupid people at the garages, they're all out just to make abit of money.

Hope you're okay
    x

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.