The Student Room Group

Stressing about securing a graduate scheme

Hi
I’m a final year business management student. I’m very stressed out about finding a graduate job. From last month I have been applying for jobs but have been rejected from all of them.
My main weakness is that I don’t know how many jobs should I apply for :frown:
Can someone please share how was their final year journey and how did they manage to get time to apply for graduate schemes? How did you prepare for the numerical reasoning test?
I just feel like I won’t find a graduate scheme because all of the schemes will end soon.
Thank you
Original post by halfmoon01
Hi
I’m a final year business management student. I’m very stressed out about finding a graduate job. From last month I have been applying for jobs but have been rejected from all of them.
Can someone please share how was their final year journey and how did they manage to get time to apply for graduate schemes? How did you prepare for the numerical reasoning test?
I just feel like I won’t find a graduate scheme because all of the schemes will end soon.
Thank you

It is stressful and you have to balance your studies and applying for jobs. Make sure you are sending targeted applications and really reading and addressing the job descriptions using the same terminology that they have used. Try and keep it to an application a day or every two days and take breaks. You really just need to apply to as many as you need to get a job. There's loads of practice tests online so have a go and keep at it. Good luck!

@shadowdweller recently went through this process :smile:
Hi
Thank you

Hi halfmoon01!

First of all, it's still fairly early days, so please try not to let any rejections get you down or stress you out too much at this stage, there is time to put out plenty more applications and secure a role if you keep focused. Not all the schemes will be ending soon; some won't even be open yet! Don't use that as an excuse not to keep applying, because it's really important you keep going with it, but it's worth keeping in mind if you're worrying about it.

In terms of how many jobs you should apply for, there's not really a set number you should be aiming for, as unhelpful as that may initially sounds. What you need to be doing is applying to as many as you reasonably can, but focusing on quality of each application over the quantity of them. I totally agree with @alleycat393 that you should try to limit to one a day or every couple of days and make sure you're really tailoring them each time. Naturally if you're comfortable applying to more than that at a time then do so, but make sure you're taking breaks, and that you don't burn yourself out.

When I found myself struggling for time around university work on a particular day, sometimes I used to just spend 10 - 20 mins searching for job listings and bookmarking them to apply for in future; that can be a nice way to give yourself a bit of a break from applications, but also feel like you're being productive. It's also easier to fit into your day than a full application would be. If you're concerned about the quality of your applications at all, I'd strongly recommend visiting your university's career services and seeing if they're able to review an application for you, and suggest any improvements you might need.

For my journey personally, I put out most of my applications from September through December, and started hearing back from aptitude/reasoning tests during that time and onward to January, I was quite fortunate to have secured a job by January, but a lot of people I've spoken to secured theirs quite a bit later than that, so it's not a fixed process in the slightest. From a numerical reasoning perspective, I'm quite a mathsy person myself and studied a course that included some, so I didn't choose to prepare for them personally, but there are a huge number of resources out there that you can use to practise the aptitude tests; this is one example, though I haven't tested it out!

Best of luck with it all, and let me know if you have any questions.

Shadow :h:
Reply 3
Original post by shadowdweller
Hi halfmoon01!

First of all, it's still fairly early days, so please try not to let any rejections get you down or stress you out too much at this stage, there is time to put out plenty more applications and secure a role if you keep focused. Not all the schemes will be ending soon; some won't even be open yet! Don't use that as an excuse not to keep applying, because it's really important you keep going with it, but it's worth keeping in mind if you're worrying about it.

In terms of how many jobs you should apply for, there's not really a set number you should be aiming for, as unhelpful as that may initially sounds. What you need to be doing is applying to as many as you reasonably can, but focusing on quality of each application over the quantity of them. I totally agree with @alleycat393 that you should try to limit to one a day or every couple of days and make sure you're really tailoring them each time. Naturally if you're comfortable applying to more than that at a time then do so, but make sure you're taking breaks, and that you don't burn yourself out.

When I found myself struggling for time around university work on a particular day, sometimes I used to just spend 10 - 20 mins searching for job listings and bookmarking them to apply for in future; that can be a nice way to give yourself a bit of a break from applications, but also feel like you're being productive. It's also easier to fit into your day than a full application would be. If you're concerned about the quality of your applications at all, I'd strongly recommend visiting your university's career services and seeing if they're able to review an application for you, and suggest any improvements you might need.

For my journey personally, I put out most of my applications from September through December, and started hearing back from aptitude/reasoning tests during that time and onward to January, I was quite fortunate to have secured a job by January, but a lot of people I've spoken to secured theirs quite a bit later than that, so it's not a fixed process in the slightest. From a numerical reasoning perspective, I'm quite a mathsy person myself and studied a course that included some, so I didn't choose to prepare for them personally, but there are a huge number of resources out there that you can use to practise the aptitude tests; this is one example, though I haven't tested it out!

Best of luck with it all, and let me know if you have any questions.

Shadow :h:

Thank you for replying to my post. I will start practicing the numerical reasoning test and I am feeling much better than last night. Think I was thinking too much.

Can you please tell me how did you manage your time in last year because I have assignments and exams coming up in few weeks time. I am not sure how should I manage my time to do job applications and assignments, you might be thinking I am stupid but I really want to hear from people who have been in this position.
I will be very grateful if you can tell me how your daily routine used to be like so I can get an idea and maybe follow your routine.

Thank You
Thank you for replying to my post. I will start practicing the numerical reasoning test and I am feeling much better than last night. Think I was thinking too much.

Can you please tell me how did you manage your time in last year because I have assignments and exams coming up in few weeks time. I am not sure how should I manage my time to do job applications and assignments, you might be thinking I am stupid but I really want to hear from people who have been in this position.
I will be very grateful if you can tell me how your daily routine used to be like so I can get an idea and maybe follow your routine.

Thank You

I don't think that's stupid at all! Personally I didn't have a particular set routine, but I would generally try and set aside some time each day to either look for, or apply to some vacancies. Basically for me if I only had a small amount of time I'd run a search and bookmark anything that I wanted to apply to, or do an application if I found one that was particularly short, whereas if I had a larger amount of time, I'd put together a full application and send it off.

If you're struggling with time balancing, it might be worth creating a bit of a timetable for yourself, and work out how everything will fit together - I wouldn't suggest making it to rigid, because without a bit of scope for change it could easily add more pressure rather than less, but something that outlines what you need to do and how it all fits together might help? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest