Little Problem Watch

Oddjob39A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys,

A little question for you, first to answer properly gets good rep!

I have a Renault Clio 1.4 RT (manual) '98, front wheel drive.

I recently put it through a full service and had various bits and bobs replaced.

The thing is, I don't get to use the car much and it often spends upto 2 weeks standing still.

Recently, in cold weather, the car refuses to start until a few turn-overs and sometimes will even cut out after a few minuts of running. However, after 10 or 15 mins the car runs perfectly, no engine noises and really smoothly. Hell, sometimes I even have to rev the engine at traffic lights to know the engine is actually running :p:

Is this simply because of inactivity and oil becoming coagulated because of the low temp, or is this indicitve of something larger?
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my guess would be the ECU adjusting itself to the different conditions it finds itself in. sort of getting disorientated as it "goes to sleep" when its warm and then "awakes" when its really cold. so it needs a few moments to adjust itself.
prb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeh, also leaving the car for 2 weeks isn't good for the battery, and it can become discharged, especially in cold weather.
red_Rose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by prb)
Yeh, also leaving the car for 2 weeks isn't good for the battery, and it can become discharged, especially in cold weather.
:ditto:

That would be my guess
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by prb)
how would that affect it? if theres enough charge to turn the engine over to start then the battery is not the problem.
prb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never said it was the problem :p: I just said that it isn't good for the battery...
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Cranking an engine when cold is much harder than warm, if you then add on the fact that there is a continual drain on the battery by the car, and then that the battery is left for 2 weeks without charge, to me it would suggest that the battery needs replacing or being left on trickle charge.

This is why batterys are measured in cold cranking amps, when an engine is cold, it takes some serious power to start it!

Would also explain why the ECU is confused and why the engine runs fine after 10 mins...the battery has charge.

OP: When you crank the engine, is it a healthy noise or a very slow crank?
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Cranking an engine when cold is much harder than warm, if you then add on the fact that there is a continual drain on the battery by the car, and then that the battery is left for 2 weeks without charge, to me it would suggest that the battery needs replacing or being left on trickle charge.

This is why batterys are measured in cold cranking amps, when an engine is cold, it takes some serious power to start it!

Would also explain why the ECU is confused and why the engine runs fine after 10 mins...the battery has charge.

OP: When you crank the engine, is it a healthy noise or a very slow crank?
Healthy noise really, it just seems like something isn't quite catching on.

Kudos to all!

I can't see how its the battery, I can leave it for nearly a month in the summertime and its fine, it just seems to be the cold thats causing trouble.
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dac.)
my guess would be the ECU adjusting itself to the different conditions it finds itself in. sort of getting disorientated as it "goes to sleep" when its warm and then "awakes" when its really cold. so it needs a few moments to adjust itself.
Why is it then that sometimes it cuts out after 10 or 15 mins? (It restarts instantly)

The problem seems to be if I just start the engine and drive, it cuts out.

If I start the engine and let it run for a bit and then drive; no problem.
Lara C.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Oddjob39A)
Why is it then that sometimes it cuts out after 10 or 15 mins? (It restarts instantly)

The problem seems to be if I just start the engine and drive, it cuts out.

If I start the engine and let it run for a bit and then drive; no problem.
exactly what ive said. when you start the engine the ECU listens to all the sensors on the car and changes settings until the sensors tell the ECU what it wants to hear. it then stores this information so next time you start thats the settings it will use. if you start it up and those settings do not match the conditions, it needs time to change what its settings until it hears what it wants to again. the problem will be made worse when you try to drive off as opposed to ticking over.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Oddjob39A)
Healthy noise really, it just seems like something isn't quite catching on.

Kudos to all!

I can't see how its the battery, I can leave it for nearly a month in the summertime and its fine, it just seems to be the cold thats causing trouble.
Research batteries! As i said, it is much harder for a battery to keep its charge in the winter and the cold than the summer, so a faulty battery shows up much more in the winter.

Could be a fuel issue, if it is not the battery.
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
Cheers guys!

Edit; Fuel problem was ruled out in the last serivce (about 2 weeks ago) mechanic basically said 'theres nothing wrong with it' which leads me to believe its a combo of battery and ECU as you have both said.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
get your battery tested for free at most Kwik Fits and other garages, that will rule it out or give you an answer
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
get your battery tested for free at most Kwik Fits and other garages, that will rule it out or give you an answer
Will do!

How much am I lookin at for a new batt. if it is the problem?
prb
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
about £50 maybe?
div curl F = 0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What I always do when starting the car is put the keys in the ignition for about 10 - 20 seconds so all the fuel and temp levels come up to where they should be and the tc/abs/oil etc lights go out, this also pressurises the fuel system and it then starts the moment I turn the key, never struggles and mines been parked up for 4 weeks on its mid winter holiday.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by prb)
about £50 maybe?
I would imagine it would be closer to £30 as it is only a battery for a 1.4, the battery does not need to be that powerful! When i had to replace the battery for my Nova (1300cc), it was £25 for a freedom battery from my local motorfactors.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by div curl F = 0)
What I always do when starting the car is put the keys in the ignition for about 10 - 20 seconds so all the fuel and temp levels come up to where they should be and the tc/abs/oil etc lights go out, this also pressurises the fuel system and it then starts the moment I turn the key, never struggles and mines been parked up for 4 weeks on its mid winter holiday.
Good idea
Oddjob39A
Rep:
?
(Original post by div curl F = 0)
So you mean just leave the keys in half-turned without turning the engine over?
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeh, in the run or II position, the position before the start position on the key
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads