AQA Sociology Theories And Methods Watch

ihatemaths000
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
did any1 here sit the AS exam on monday?
what was on it (indiv. + society bit)

thanks
Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The 2 essays were on postal questionnaires and participant observation.

The 2 marker was what is primary data.

The 4 marker was explain two ethical issues researcher may take into account before conducting their research.

The 6 marker was give 3 advantages on Historical and personal documents.

And i really can't remember what the 8 marker was
ChrisTheRockGod
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
isn't this only for summer?!
ahhh
worry about the exam on next monday first haha
D29
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
sociology as a science? 40 marker??
ahijaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ha! sociology a science as a 40marker is possible.
Lolaface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeh sociology as a science is very possible

this website is good also. been using it to revise
http://mysociology.co.uk/notes.php?level=a2&unit=5
D29
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
what else do u think could come up?
teapots-rock
Report 10 years ago
hey does any1 know what came up in the june 07 paper for theory and methods

i'm trying to come up with my predictions...

i think social policy could come up (and i really hope it does)
ahijaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how many studies are you meant to mention in ur 40 mark eassay..roughly?
ahijaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how did it go?
for me it went brilliantly, though i wanted sociology as a science, but i did value-freedom ,which was nice and easy....so how did everyone else find it?
Lilly
Report 10 years ago
I picked the observation question, I revised all of Marxism and Functionalism for nothing. But ohwell. I couldn't remember anything on Post Modernism so thats 10 marks down the drain.
ahijaw
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i didnt understand that question, and wasnt to sure on what to write on the participant observation one, so i just left it.
Lolaface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
stupid ****ty paper
couldnt remember anything also for post modernism. revised more for funtionalism and marxism. 10 marks
did the participant observation question. which was alright
Balky_Bear
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It was ok not brilliant. post modernism was ok for me and I did value-freedom debate which was ok
shayma
Report 10 years ago
heyy im doing the theory and methods paper in june can any of u guys help me i have such a crap teacher she doesn't explain anything i think i am going 2 fail i started teaching my self i need some notes on sociol policies how it links to sociological theories.
Aime1509
Report 10 years ago
Hello I'm not sure if you are doing the A2 or the AS THEORY and Method paper. Im sitting the A2 in June but its basically the same as the AS but more focus on the perspectives/theory rather than the methods.

So generally look at the following
1. Macro structuralist perspectives:
e.g.. Functionalism, Marxism, and Feminism
You will get a question basically wanting you to discuss structuralist perspectives, you need to look on the AQA website and try to identify these questions as examiners will try to trick you out by fabricating them.

Macro being the perspectives that look at larger groups.
They believe that reality exists outside the individual. Therefore believing that society and the institutions we are involved in shape our behavior. (An institution is place that enforces a set of rules and regulations.) Basically education, criminal justice system, religion...
Functionalism is a consensus theory
Marxism and feminism are conflict perspectives.

The section i have described above is mainly knowledge. For an essay i would take 5 separate points from the paragraph above.

With these five points you need to support them with an application.
Application is just giving examples so for a functionalist choose Durkhiem and his study of Suicide. He believed that suicide that may not be a totally individual personal response. Therefore he believes reality exists outside the individual and that people who commit suicide may choose to due to key factors in society influencing them to do so.

To be honest it depends how much detail you go into things.
i'm just trying to give a kind of outline.

After you have stated a knowledge point, the supported it with an example (application.)
You need to evaluate

Therefore you will use the micro perspective to criticize the macro.

Interactionists are micro sociologists
also known as social action theories
look at phenomenology as well they do not believe that reality exists outside the individual mind.
interactionists believe that people acted upon the responses given.

Support using Beckers labeling theory. Google it you will find loads on it

Then just write a final conclusion. Saying what strengths and weakness both perspectives have... e.g.. too deterministic. This is the "evaluation" section.

OK i've done one topic that could possibly come up on the exam and really not go into much detail. This on the A2 paper would be like a (40 marker essay) You really need to practice these essay questions. If you need anymore help (i know it is boring) because ive gone on and on. Feel free to message or ask for my email. It helps me to remember things and revise while i try my best to explain.

i can give you links to websites and suggest revision guides. Or give a list of possible topics that may come up.
Praisin
Report 9 years ago
my theory and methods exam is coming up in two weeks and i still feel that i don't know enough to properly structure 40 mark question. i have a feeling i will get into the exam and then not know how to word my essay to fit the question. i know this is like a year later than the last post posted, but any help anyone please??

it wil be very much appreciated
xlornaxbabyx
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Petit chou)
Can we use research from psychology to give examples of unethical research like Milgram because that could kinda be constued as sociological too.
We asked my teacher about this [who happens to be an examiner] and she suggested that it isnt a good idea unless the research has been used for sociology too. Otherwise steer clear of psychology in a sociology exam
xlornaxbabyx
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Petit chou)
I'm only resitting the AS theories and methods, i'm not doing the a2 i'm doing the coursework instead.

But 40 markers do seem extremely long for a methods question lol. What kind of questions do you get asked?
Oh quick tip about 40 markers.
Don't freak yourself out on those too much.
Obviously at A2 your answers need to be much more in-depth and at a higher level BUT the 40 markers are actually marked out of 20 and then doubled.
That is another bit of advice from my examiner sociology teacher
majr
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
does anyone here know how to answer a 40 mark question on theory e.g. interviews, PO? I know its adv and disadv of each but thats not enough for 40 marks is it? please help me got my exam on thursday
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No - I got the required grades (3)
42.86%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads