Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You have to put it on your application. You don't have a choice.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I thought Bath required a full A level in maths :-\

I'm taking the full thing this year purely to get INTO university to do computer science >_<

ReputationRep:
    yeh you do. you can leave it off but if they ask you, you have to tell them i.e. you cant lie!! i would suggest leaving it off and writing it in your personal statement although if you do that, they might want to know why its not on the application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    You have to put it on your application. You don't have a choice.

MB
    This. All your details need to be "accurate and complete", including what exams you're going to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5kuzgib)
    A strange question I know, but heres the deal.

I am applying for Computer Science at Bath, Durham and Birmingham. I already have BTEC ND Software development grade DDD and am doing AS maths this year (year out).

I have not applied yet, but the admissions tutor from Bath says they will give me an unconditional offer with just my BTEC, but if I put my AS level Maths on my application it will be a conditional offer to get a B. So he said it would be better to leave it off my application, but still do the course as it will be helpful.

Birmingham will probably take me with only my BTEC, but I'm not sure about Durham. I have definitely heard of people getting offers lower than DDD, and i'm not sure if the maths would help anyway because there are maths modules in the first year for people who didn't do A-level maths (for everybody in fact). I have tried to contact the admissions tutor to ask for advice, but he is away until monday

I could do without the pressure to get a B - my exam on wednesday didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Also, If I don't put it as a qualification on my application, how do I tell them that I am doing it but am not putting it on my application (if you get me)?

Aaargh!

:confused:
    Give Durham another call, and ask if there is someone else who could know the answer, as you urgently need to know. Before they close.

ReputationRep:
    Right... What happens to those that decide that they want to do the AS Maths module after their ucas has been sent off? Do they add in afterwards or what?

ReputationRep:
    You ring the unis you've applied to and give the admissions tutors the details.

ReputationRep:
    I know Durham don't need Maths for CompSci, so maybe you should mention it in your personal statement instead, but i would ring the admissions tutor just incase.

EvenStevens, if he has a BTEC they said on the openday they like them as their computer knowledge is quite advanced and this compensates for the maths. I'm doing CompSci with Business and despite most of the modules being CompSci i didn't need maths, but i get tuition when/if i go

ReputationRep:
    As I am aware, and has been said, you need to declare all your subjects. Give the uni's a ring. Ans also, perhaps UCAS

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa23)
    yeh you do. you can leave it off but if they ask you, you have to tell them i.e. you cant lie!! i would suggest leaving it off and writing it in your personal statement although if you do that, they might want to know why its not on the application.
    Actually, you're not supposed to leave it off at all. When you send your form to UCAS, you tick to say you accept a little caveat which says all information must be accurate and complete, and UCAS may withdraw your application if they find that your information is inaccurate or incomplete.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you don't need maths for Comp Sci at Durham?!

I thought Durham was one of the country's top universities.

Them doing comp sci without maths required is like... an analogy I can't think of right now.

Saying that, Bristol don't "need" maths. They just say it's preferred.

...which basically says to me that they need maths <_<

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You could always just email durham and tell them that you forgot to add it to your applicaton and have decided to email the unis seperately. But you actually only email Durham and not the rest of the unis, how would bath ever know??

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd have put it on. I did poorly at AS History, but at the end of the day it still shows you've done your AS and it'll be worth some points.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by petzneo)
    You could always just email durham and tell them that you forgot to add it to your applicaton and have decided to email the unis seperately. But you actually only email Durham and not the rest of the unis, how would bath ever know??
    But it's still not allowed- you have to put COMPLETE details of your qualifications.
    I'm afraid the OP hasn't got much choice on this one.

ReputationRep:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.