Mariya261
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This year I am applying for university, and my main degree that I want is midwifery but because the requirement are high, this may cause complications. So I have another route that I may take , and this by undergoing adult nursing. getting a degree in this course and then later on in a few years taking a midwifery 18 month course.

But my only problem with this is that apparently they are going to scrap this for some reason, but there is no evidence to support such statement . SO IF YOU GUYS KNOW WOULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Thank you
mel_l218
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have heard similar rumours about the conversion course, not many universities offer it too & apparently they are still very competitive.
I would advise if you want to do midwifery, to go ahead & apply for it. There are risks when applying for adult nursing, when you want to do midwifery, firstly, adult Nursing is still competitive, secondly, the interviewer/s may sense you aren’t 100% passionate about adult nursing (and you may not get a place) & lastly, you will need to do everything required of you during the adult nursing degree & this may make those 3 years tougher & longer if you will just be waiting to do the conversion course at the end of it.
I’m sorry if this post sounds negative, but I feel it can be risky to apply for nursing when you want to do midwifery.
If you are passionate about midwifery, this will show in your application & at interview and it is possible to get a place.
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mariya261)
This year I am applying for university, and my main degree that I want is midwifery but because the requirement are high, this may cause complications. So I have another route that I may take , and this by undergoing adult nursing. getting a degree in this course and then later on in a few years taking a midwifery 18 month course.

But my only problem with this is that apparently they are going to scrap this for some reason, but there is no evidence to support such statement . SO IF YOU GUYS KNOW WOULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Thank you
You're right, this course is gradually being phased-out. It won't be phased out completely just yet, but this is something I think will definitely be coming in the next few years. You won't find any 'evidence' of this as universities don't want to scare off applicants, but the number of places offered and the number of providers offering these courses has decreased hugely recently.

It is currently incredibly difficult to get a place on an 18 month midwifery course and is not something I would ever recommend to anyone. There is certainly no guarantee that you would ever be able to gain a place on this course and you may well be stuck with a nursing degree which is not the career you actually want.

You should always look to complete a midwifery degree if you want to be a midwife. If you don't want to be a nurse and undertake a nursing degree, you will have the most miserable three years of your life learning things which you don't have any passion for and struggling through long placement shifts which have no relation to your end career goals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (21)
17.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (40)
32.52%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
9.76%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
10.57%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (6)
4.88%
I think it's an unfair expectation (29)
23.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.63%

Watched Threads