Can I get a student loan on an Ancestry visa? Watch

donut_donut
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm an Australian living in the UK on an Ancestry visa. I have been here for 1 year, I am allowed to live here for 4 more years and then I will be able to take my citizenship test. I can work on my visa but I am not allowed to claim public funding.

I have heard a lot of mixed information about student loans and applying for University. All I want is to be able to do a degree at Gloucester University. I apparently have the grades, and if not I can take a foundation course. The problem is that I don't know how to afford it. I looked online and it says that a student loan technically doesn't count as public funds, but I have heard I don't meet the criteria to apply for it. There is no way I can afford to go to University by paying for myself.

Is it possible to get a student loan in the UK if I'm an Australian resident of the UK? Or if not, is it possible I could apply for the loan in Australia and study in the UK? Should I contact the University directly to ask about my options? Thank you.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by donut_donut)
I'm an Australian living in the UK on an Ancestry visa. I have been here for 1 year, I am allowed to live here for 4 more years and then I will be able to take my citizenship test. I can work on my visa but I am not allowed to claim public funding.

I have heard a lot of mixed information about student loans and applying for University. All I want is to be able to do a degree at Gloucester University. I apparently have the grades, and if not I can take a foundation course. The problem is that I don't know how to afford it. I looked online and it says that a student loan technically doesn't count as public funds, but I have heard I don't meet the criteria to apply for it. There is no way I can afford to go to University by paying for myself.

Is it possible to get a student loan in the UK if I'm an Australian resident of the UK? Or if not, is it possible I could apply for the loan in Australia and study in the UK? Should I contact the University directly to ask about my options? Thank you.
You have to be living in the UK (EU for tuition fees) for 3 years to get any loans.
Shaun D SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by donut_donut)

Hi donut_donut,

You would need 3 years residency within the UK and Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Warm regards,

Shaun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate