Emily0026
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
i am starting to apply for university and wanting to go on to becoming a health care assistant in a job afterwards, is it health and social care I need to study at university to be able to do this?
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need any specific requirements, qualifications or a degree to become a Healthcare Assistant, especially within the NHS. If this is your chosen career path I'd save the nine grand a year on a degree and get a BTEC or NVQ healthcare qualification and start getting work experience, that's what you'll need to have a chance of employment.

But if you want to do a degree, it doesn't have to be in health and social care, it can be in pretty much anything you want, and you'll still be able to become a HCA.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're interested in that aspect of healthcare then as the above poster has said, it'd be wiser to gain on the job qualifications rather than paying university fees for a role that does not require a degree.

It might be a better idea to get employment as an HCA and gaining some insight into healthcare, it'll help you decide on a career that you do need uni for (nursing or other AHP roles) and will serve as useful work experience in a future application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads