City training contract with criminal record? Watch

Am1988
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Following an error of judgement a couple of years ago I got myself a criminal record. There were some mitigating circumstances and I sought to address some of the issues that led to the event...

I have been approved by the SRA to train as a solicitor and now want to apply for training contracts.

I have read of people obtaining training contracts, but every story I have read has been at a high street firm. I also know there are plenty of city lawyers with convictions for things like drink driving but the offence has occurred after they’ve qualified...

Has anyone ever got a training contract at a city law firm with a criminal record? Is it likely to happen? I know with the rehabilitation of offenders act they aren’t supposed to discriminate but at the same time, when training contracts are so hard to come by I can see firms being deterred...

Thanks.
Am1988
Rep:
?
That’s really helpful, thank you.

I just had a look through the list and those four firms are the only law firms on there. Linklaters don’t ask about convictions at all, even once a job offer is made.

Other than firms being put off generally, are there any other major hurdles I may not be aware of or is the SRA the only one?
Am1988
Rep:
?
Thanks J-SP, have found the old threads and had a good read and sent some PMs.

Someone has secured a TC with a conviction at a city law firm and also secured interviews at others, so that is a confidence boost.

There are apparently a lot of firms that don’t ask at application stage other than those listed on ban the box, so that should help too :-)

For those firms that do require disclosure, would you say it is worthwhile to give details in the interests of transparency? Or is it better to wait until they ask? A part of my thinking is that they have a lot of applications to read and I don’t want to annoy them with even more information to read...

Thanks.
Am1988
Rep:
?
I’ve noticed a number of firms ask specifically if you have any criminal convictions or crown court judgements and if so please give details.

To me it seems I need to declare the conviction here. Does anyone else have any advice on this?

I was thinking answer yes, state SRA approved. then declare the conviction and sentence and offer more information if required. Rather than go into specifics and extenuating circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (291)
65.54%
No (153)
34.46%

Watched Threads