City training contract with criminal record?

Watch
Am1988
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

Following an error of judgement a couple of years ago I got myself a criminal record. There were some mitigating circumstances and I sought to address some of the issues that led to the event...

I have been approved by the SRA to train as a solicitor and now want to apply for training contracts.

I have read of people obtaining training contracts, but every story I have read has been at a high street firm. I also know there are plenty of city lawyers with convictions for things like drink driving but the offence has occurred after they’ve qualified...

Has anyone ever got a training contract at a city law firm with a criminal record? Is it likely to happen? I know with the rehabilitation of offenders act they aren’t supposed to discriminate but at the same time, when training contracts are so hard to come by I can see firms being deterred...

Thanks.
Am1988
Rep:
?
That’s really helpful, thank you.

I just had a look through the list and those four firms are the only law firms on there. Linklaters don’t ask about convictions at all, even once a job offer is made.

Other than firms being put off generally, are there any other major hurdles I may not be aware of or is the SRA the only one?
Am1988
Rep:
?
Thanks J-SP, have found the old threads and had a good read and sent some PMs.

Someone has secured a TC with a conviction at a city law firm and also secured interviews at others, so that is a confidence boost.

There are apparently a lot of firms that don’t ask at application stage other than those listed on ban the box, so that should help too :-)

For those firms that do require disclosure, would you say it is worthwhile to give details in the interests of transparency? Or is it better to wait until they ask? A part of my thinking is that they have a lot of applications to read and I don’t want to annoy them with even more information to read...

Thanks.
Am1988
Rep:
?
I’ve noticed a number of firms ask specifically if you have any criminal convictions or crown court judgements and if so please give details.

To me it seems I need to declare the conviction here. Does anyone else have any advice on this?

I was thinking answer yes, state SRA approved. then declare the conviction and sentence and offer more information if required. Rather than go into specifics and extenuating circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (148)
42.05%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
15.06%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (143)
40.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.27%

Watched Threads